• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

first post!

vinny2times

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a 27-year-old guy from NJ. I'm single for the first time in a few years, so I want to reinvent my wardrobe. I work in the medical field, so Mon-Fri I wear scrubs. All I need are "going out clothes".

I went to Naples last month and got 2 custom tailored suits - one dark navy and one charcoal pinstripe. I picked up some black wingtip lace-ups and black/brown penny loafers in Florence. I also picked up an awesome brown leather jacket and got 4 custom dress shirts (white, light blue, medium blue, blue/white stripes).

I'm thinking I need some dark brown oxfords for my navy suit, maybe some burgundy penny loafers, some button-down shirts for going out, and... well... I don't know...

Fortunately, money doesn't really matter. I really haven't bought many clothes over the years and now it's time to dress like a man and not a boy.

Thanks in advance.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of penny loafers for someone in your age bracket, but burgundy/merlot does sound like it would work. You can always check out Allen Edmonds or move onto something more fancy if money really isn't a problem.

Last edited:

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume you mean money isn't a problem instead of "option."
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I'm not really a fan of penny loafers for someone in your age bracket, but burgundy/merlot does sound like it would work. You can always check out Allen Edmonds or move onto something more fancy if money really isn't an option.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I assume you mean money isn't a problem instead of "option." 
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Whoops. I guess being poor made me subconsciously write that. Fixed :).

Last edited:

vinny2times

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
To be honest, I really don't know much about style
shog[1].gif

What would someone my age wear in place of penny loafers? Which AE shoes do you like in a dark navy suit?

Thanks again.

vinny2times

Reaction score
I wish I could pull off just half the AE shoes on their website lol

Last edited:

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any means, but I personally wear merlot Park Avenues. I also like walnut strands with navy but it's not really a "safe" option. Honestly though, you could pretty much wear anything with navy. I'm sure someone more experienced with chime in, but pick something that you are comfortable with and you will be fine.

Here is a picture of park avenues in merlot to give you an idea.

Last edited:

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the reply.
To be honest, I really don't know much about style
shog%5B1%5D.gif

What would someone my age wear in place of penny loafers? Which AE shoes do you like in a dark navy suit?

Thanks again.

Try Allen Edmonds Presidio in burnished Burgundy. You can use them with a navy suit (yes I know they are loafers, and still think they look good), navy or gray slacks or with jeans and a jacket.

You could also get a pair of double monk straps. Howard Yount's are great.

vinny2times

Reaction score
i'm not sure if i prefer wingtips or captoes. what is the general consensus around here?

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black or burgundy shoes work with navy suits. I suppose brown does too, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're just starting to wear suits.

I think everyone needs at least 1 captoe, just because they are a classic, professional shoe that can pretty much be worn with any suit. Wingtips are more informal, and I wouldn't pair them with a business suit (unless you are wearing it casually). They pair better with casual outfits.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Crockett and Jones NYC and the Ralph Lauren Mansion to look at shoes. Once you've seen English shoes in person you will not want to go to Allen Edmonds.

If you are looking for something REALLY special go to Leffot.

No point in messin' round if you have cash to spend and are within an hour or so of NYC. There are lots of great retailers available to you for the cost of just a little time.

As to wingtips or captoes, it's not so much a matter of either or - but more a matter of how the wingtips/captoes are shaped and made than anything else.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread needs pics from the OP, that is a lot of clothing and shoes from Italy. Don't tease... :D

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Go to Crockett and Jones NYC and the Ralph Lauren Mansion to look at shoes. Once you've seen English shoes in person you will not want to go to Allen Edmonds.
If you are looking for something REALLY special go to Leffot.
No point in messin' round if you have cash to spend and are within an hour or so of NYC. There are lots of great retailers available to you for the cost of just a little time.
As to wingtips or captoes, it's not so much a matter of either or - but more a matter of how the wingtips/captoes are shaped and made than anything else.

You know what, i agree for the most part. I am definitely looking forward to moving up a shoe brackets in the near future :nodding: EG, GG, JL, lovely stuff...

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You know what, i agree for the most part. I am definitely looking forward to moving up a shoe brackets in the near future :nodding: EG, GG, JL, lovely stuff...

There's nothing wrong with AE shoes if that's your budget and you stick to the basics. I'm not a proponent of guys going into debt over shoes.

But if one can afford better - there are so many choices which are notably superior. It seems a shame to pair AEs with custom suits from Naples.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads