• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Post: New SC - help me decide

SJTM

Reaction score

I recently lost some weight and am trying to rebuild my wardrobe. I am buying down one more size, as I am still dropping lbs. I picked up both these jackets on sale, but only plan to keep one. The first is a BB Madison, center vent, full canvas, 100% wool with a very nice hand. Fit (tried my current size on in the store) is typical Madison. Second SC is JAB Signature Gold, wool/silk blend, half canvas, similar fit to the BB except for the heavier padding in the shoulder.

The BB has a nicer hand, but I need some versatility, and am concerned the strong windowpane is somewhat limiting. Most of my ties are patterned. I assume this cries out for some solid ties. I would appreciate some suggestions on what to wear with it or whether to take it back.

I knw there is never much love for JAB, but I am on a budget and both of these are at the upper limit of what I plan to spend ( BB-$299 / JAB - $253).

Sorry the pics are tilted - not sure how to fix.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Brooks Brothers looks less versatile, but the JAB isn't particularly versatile either. And wool/silk might be less versatile (in terms of comfort) than 100% wool. Anyway, ultimately without seeing fit pics, no one should advise one way or the other.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are you sure that the BB one is fully canvased? im willing to bet its just half.

SJTM

Reaction score
Thanks for replying to my first post. Thought I might never hear from anyone. I fully concur that fit matters most. As I mentioned, I bought a size down, but preferred the fit of the BB when I tried it on in my size at the store, particularly the higher armholes and the softer shoulder. The hand of the BB fabric was also noticably better. Since posting, having not received any feedback, I made an executive decision and returned the JAB. While both jackets had their limitations on versatility, I decided to embrace the higher style of the BB. The fabric and pattern work particularly well with both deep navy and stone colored gabarbines and allow me to wear both pale as well as bolder colored solid shirts to create some contrast. I am now on the hunt for the right knit tie, (Rubinacci?) that will add a little texture.

Both BB jackets I purchased prominently display swn in tags on the lining under the interior ticket pocket which say "Full Canvas". This is the basis for my assumption.

Thanks again for the replies.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want versatile, get a navy SC. If it's between these two, get the BB.

SJTM

Reaction score
Thanks. Chose the BB. Have a navy blazer (JAB SG), navy on navy windowpane( BB full canvas) and black/white mini houndstooth ( JAB SG), plus a Jack Victor light brown herringbone tweed with just a bit of blue flecks. Also bought 4 suits - all JAB signature gold - in navy, navy windowpane, charcoal chalkstripe and grey nailhead.. Plus a signature SB Pl tuxedo. Shopped hard on the winter sales and managed to stay just under $2,500 for everything including 4 pair of gabardine pants. Need to stretch a dollar these days with three kids heading for college. Lurking on this board has helped me avoid any major mistakes ( I am not a JAB hater, for those who consider anything JAB a mistake), Still much to learn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads