• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First post HS graduation suit?

rainmaker

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post in the regular non-streetwear Men's Clothing forum. I'm a 20 year old university student looking to buy his first suit post his high school graduation suit, and was wondering where I should look-- living in Canada, I basically have the choice between Zara and Holt Renfrew. Zara I'm sure many are familiar with, and Holt Renfrew is a high-end retailer that carries various designers-- I think it might be comparable to Saks/Barney's down in the US (I've never been to the US, so I can't say for sure).

As for my build, I'm no pro athlete, but am somewhat athletically built; 5'10, 167lb, and I'm not exactly sure how to measure both, but I think I have about a 42" chest and 31" waist.

Should I start my looking at Zara? Or would it be worth it to start my search at Holt Renfrew-- and if so, what brands would fit a guy like me? Budget is an issue, somewhat, as I do need to balance school with all other expenses; but a suit is an investment, right?

And what colours, cut, etc. do I go with my first suit? I'm Chinese, with black hair and relatively, but not the absolute palest skin. Pretty girls at school are telling me.. black. From some other sources, I hear two sides to this-- the No side with regards to the black suit's formalness/funeralness/nighttimeness vs. it being good for a young guy.

Oh, looking at a copy of GQ-- not sure if that's respectable around here-- I'm liking the peak lapel thing.

CoryB

Reaction score
Most will tell you no black suits. I agree, but if you are using this for clubbing rather than business attire than black is fine.

If you are on a budget don't even consider Holt Renfrew. Your size is going to preclude you from most brands. Most suits have a drop of 6", meaning the difference between waist and chests. Your drop is 11", which is massive. It means you will need to buy seperates (jacket and pants seperately) which Zara does, but you need to also be concerned with the drape fo the jacket. It will look blousy near the waist if it is fits in the chest/shoulders.

The best bet is Made-to-Measure because it will be made for your body and will accomodate your size. MTM is pricey though and you will be looking at $1000+. Take a look at ThickAsThievesLA.com. The designer is a forum member and the suits are MTM, but only $400USD (for forum members). I will certainly be buying one in the future.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's it for? I've never bothered looking at Zara's suits, but from what I gather on here they might be borderline for interviews. Personally I wouldn't wear a TAT suit to an interview, although I hope to wear one everywhere else.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
The first thing you need to do is go to a menswear store with good service and find your size. (Don't go somewhere cheap: they'll put you in something too big and push hard for a sale.) An 11" drop is very unusual, so chances are you have it wrong. If it is an interview suit, you might also ask the salespeople for advice on whether you look better in charcoal or navy, and 2 or 3 button.

rainmaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CoryB
Most will tell you no black suits. I agree, but if you are using this for clubbing rather than business attire than black is fine.
I would think 90 percent business.

The best bet is Made-to-Measure because it will be made for your body and will accomodate your size. MTM is pricey though and you will be looking at $1000+. Take a look at ThickAsThievesLA.com. The designer is a forum member and the suits are MTM, but only $400USD (for forum members). I will certainly be buying one in the future.
Looks good, stupid me can't seem to find the MTM page though.

Originally Posted by Jared
What's it for? I've never bothered looking at Zara's suits, but from what I gather on here they might be borderline for interviews. Personally I wouldn't wear a TAT suit to an interview, although I hope to wear one everywhere else.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Haha.. TAT?

The first thing you need to do is go to a menswear store with good service and find your size. (Don't go somewhere cheap: they'll put you in something too big and push hard for a sale.) An 11" drop is very unusual, so chances are you have it wrong.
Yes, given CoryB's description, very probably-- I just quickly broke out the tape measure and went around.

If it is an interview suit, you might also ask the salespeople for advice on whether you look better in charcoal or navy, and 2 or 3 button.
That I will. These two nice girls today recommended me black over navy over charcoal.. but they're no professionals
laugh.gif

broady

Reaction score
I'm approximately the same dimensions as you (a little lighter), and I am 38" in the chest.

31.5" natural waist as well.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TAT = Thick As Thieves

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
Hit some thrift stores, man.

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Hey guys, this is my first post in the regular non-streetwear Men's Clothing forum. I'm a 20 year old university student looking to buy his first suit post his high school graduation suit, and was wondering where I should look-- living in Canada, I basically have the choice between Zara and Holt Renfrew. Zara I'm sure many are familiar with, and Holt Renfrew is a high-end retailer that carries various designers-- I think it might be comparable to Saks/Barney's down in the US (I've never been to the US, so I can't say for sure).

As for my build, I'm no pro athlete, but am somewhat athletically built; 5'10, 167lb, and I'm not exactly sure how to measure both, but I think I have about a 42" chest and 31" waist.

Should I start my looking at Zara? Or would it be worth it to start my search at Holt Renfrew-- and if so, what brands would fit a guy like me? Budget is an issue, somewhat, as I do need to balance school with all other expenses; but a suit is an investment, right?

And what colours, cut, etc. do I go with my first suit? I'm Chinese, with black hair and relatively, but not the absolute palest skin. Pretty girls at school are telling me.. black. From some other sources, I hear two sides to this-- the No side with regards to the black suit's formalness/funeralness/nighttimeness vs. it being good for a young guy.

Oh, looking at a copy of GQ-- not sure if that's respectable around here-- I'm liking the peak lapel thing.

Charcoal flannel 2 button supressed waist, cap toes, royal collar and bright tie would be my selection for the young, hip ***********....

cmrocks

Reaction score
I'm 20 and I just picked up my first suit which is a charchol grey Z Zegna suit. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I'm 5'9 and 155 lbs and I bought a 38 short. I bought it from Harry Rosen in Vancouver, BC.

With that being said, I didn't notice Thick As Thieves until after I bought my suit.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavyd
Charcoal flannel 2 button supressed waist, cap toes, royal collar and bright tie would be my selection for the young, hip ***********....
Not flannel: everywhere in Canada outside BC gets punishingly hot in the summer, and the cities in BC don't get cold enough for flannel. But other than that I agree with you.
laugh.gif

JordanB

Reaction score
Do a charcoal suit. It's the most versatile. It will appeal to the girls because it's darker and can look sleeker. It can be worn with both brown and black shoes. It will look MUCH better for interviews and business. And because it's so versatile and can have so many looks, people won't notice if you wear it all the time.

And don't get one in flannel. Even though it's cold in Canada, get a year-round wool.

rainmaker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavyd
I like how you assumed I'm hip
laugh.gif

Thanks for all the advice guys, will be back with updates.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads