• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First post,and by way of introduction some pictures of my first bespoke.

brokentelephone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brokentelephone
Absolutely-- i wasn't even furthering my own beliefs, but was drawing attention to the ideas of a high-ranking serviceman.

I do agree that Britain is obsessed with all things celebrity, and I think the armed forces have definitely entered that realm. I mean, who really gives a **** when a random person dies? Its sad to his/her famiy and friends, but I don't really think we have the capacity to personalize deaths/suffering outside our close periphery. No one aside from those personally affected really care that much!

Well-- I don't anyhow.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well-- I don't anyhow.
Are you sure it's only your telephone that's broken...?
confused.gif

BlackShoes

Reaction score
Perhaps you should read up about his comments before referring to me as a moron for restating them? He doesn't criticize actual reverence, but rather, is uncomfortable with people venerating the armed forces for the sake of it.

I found his comment akin to criticizing the religious who have no knowledge of the religious doctrine they claim to abide by.

I definitely mourn those who have lost their lives, but I don't always agree with why they were put at risk.

Finally, eat a dick!

Dear oh dear, you really do have some problems formulating a cogent response, don't you?

Firstly, I had read them, before you so sagely brought them up, otherwise I would not have called him a "jumped up twerp". Also, instead of restating them, you merely referred to them, perhaps if you had the prescience to quote them, and give them a more thorough slice of your time, you would have realised how hollow and specious they were.

Thank you for your fascinating, but unsolicited personal opinions about the religious.

You mourn, and yet your disagreement with the politics behind these soldiers orders compel you not to show support for the Royal British Legion, a body devoted to helping those who have served or who are serving presently? What an odd contradiction.

After you.

brokentelephone

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlackShoes
Dear oh dear, you really do have some problems formulating a cogent response, don't you?

Firstly, I had read them, before you so sagely brought them up, otherwise I would not have called him a "jumped up twerp". Also, instead of restating them, you merely referred to them, perhaps if you had the prescience to quote them, and give them a more thorough slice of your time, you would have realised how hollow and specious they were.

Thank you for your fascinating, but unsolicited personal opinions about the religious.

You mourn, and yet your disagreement with the politics behind these soldiers orders compel you not to show support for the Royal British Legion, a body devoted to helping those who have served or who are serving presently? What an odd contradiction.

After you.

Harhar! Are you trying to prove thesaurus.com exists?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Wow, that's mean. - B
I don't know, I could be reading too much but sometimes it seems as though you pass judgement on a person - or encourage others to - based on their surroundings. I'm uncomfortable with that. Partially agree with the irrational reverence of the armed forces thing. People might as well revere their garbage collectors or the people who keep their lights/water running, their kids educated, and their health sound - the impact on their daily lives are so much more substantial - and meaningful - than the 'sacrifice' of a few who sign up knowing full well what's happening on the pointy end of Her Majesty's overseas outreach program and are put in situations where really the only viable options are bravery or getting killed and sometimes both.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
I don't know, I could be reading too much but sometimes it seems as though you pass judgement on a person - or encourage others to - based on their surroundings. I'm uncomfortable with that.

You mean like this?

tod009large2fx6.jpg

- B

- B

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You mean like this?

- B

Who is that in the picture?

-LR

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I'd recognize an Anderson & Sheppard coat hanger anywhere ... even at ten paces with one eye tied behind my back.

You can count on me not tying an eye behind your back.

You must have circler vision. Does it go all the way around the planet? Or, just your back?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljrcustom
Who is that in the picture?

-LR

the pooh

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The coat looks really short.

It would be better to see the three piece on you with a proper shirt and shoes.

alexdunhill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
Partially agree with the irrational reverence of the armed forces thing.

People might as well revere their garbage collectors or the people who keep their lights/water running, their kids educated, and their health sound - the impact on their daily lives are so much more substantial - and meaningful - than the 'sacrifice' of a few who sign up knowing full well what's happening on the pointy end of Her Majesty's overseas outreach program and are put in situations where really the only viable options are bravery or getting killed and sometimes both.

Perhaps you don't live in the UK or Commonwealth and the ignorance underlying this view is forgivable, but I find this whole comment thoroughly offensive. We don't wear poppies because we are "irrationally reverent" of the armed forces; we wear them to commemerate the soldiers who sacrificed their lives defending our country, mainly during the world wars and specifically WWI.

The line of thought behind a couple posters in this thread implies a red poppy is worn to glorify the armed forces, equivalent to wearing swastika arm-band because you're a neo-Nazi, when in reality it's nothing like that. In fact, often a poppy symbolises the futility of war and is a reminder of the horrors and sadness inherent.

Trying to say a rubbish collector or electrician is deserving of the same reverence as a fallen soldier and has more of an impact on my day-to-day life strikes me as abhorrent and evident of little grasp of what their sacrifice truly meant. I for one am glad I don't live in a colony of Imperial Japan and feel this would likely make much more of a difference than whether the rubbish is collected on time.

I'm wondering, why the use of speech marks around the word sacrifice? Are you implying you think that bleeding to death in a muddy trench somewhere on the other side of the world isn't really much of a sacrifice at all? Also, have you ever heard of conscription? (I believe referred to as drafting in the US.) Most of the men we remember were young (some even as young as thirteen or fourteen!!), from a different time, and were doing their bit to defend "King and Country". Most of them didn't "sign up", as it were, and they certainly didn't know "full well" what was going to happen to them either.

Sorry for the long post, and I'm not having a go at you, but I'm hoping you (and the other one) aren't from the UK/Commonwealth so simply don't have a real idea about the reasons for poppy-wearing. All I'm trying to do is give a better idea about the real reasons and I urge you to re-think your ideas, maybe google Flanders Fields or the Gallipoli Campaign and read a little about them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads