• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First pics from the new Star Trek movie -- check out the bridge and uniforms

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't wait to see the 'green' chicks

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
****, apparently this is fake then...
2c7373d1ea630ba040c0c213eb5b551f.jpg

mcpaul

Reaction score
I have to admit I am no start rek fan, but that image looks fantastic!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ran down the cast, looks pretty solid. woohoo!!!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how the cast plays these parts. JJ Abrams keeps talking about how they've tried to avoid caricature, but in that pic at top, Chris Pine is channeling Shatner's chair slump and Karl Urban is doing De Kelley's pensive look as McCoy.

Also, there's a couple more pics out, including a ship that isn't the Enterprise.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I hate it when stuff looks about 100x more high tech, shiny, and newer than the original (later on in the timeline). If its really a "re-imagining" why did they get people who look similar to the older, established castmembers?

That bridge looks like a goddamn Mac. That may be my biggest problems with it. Jonathan Ives is still alive in the future. Damn it.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
But how could they avoid it when real life looks more high tech than the '60s show?
If you went back to the level of tech in the Trek movies... I don't think there'd be much difficulty. I mean... its harder to come up with retro that looks good than futuristic that looks good - but when futuristic BECAME retro - and now we are jumping ahead again to keep up - thats like WAY too big of an increment for me to swallow. You don't think the glowing, minimalist aesthetic won't look as tasteless and dated in 40 years as the "future" imagined in the original Star Trek? Hell, it looks dated already. It's like the damn Star Wars prequels. Stuff doesn't just de-evolve in that short a period of time. It just seems like a really lazy and dishonest way to push your aesthetic principals on a universe where those aesthetic and technical boundaries have already been well established as something else. Bladerunner still looks like a more believable future than any of this other crap.
smile.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I suspect everything must become dated before it becomes charming. The Next Generation's bridge now looks like a beige conference room -- very much of its time. Maybe one day it too will be viewed more kindly. What I can see of the new bridge doesn't look that far removed from what we have now, yet still looks a bit futuristic. I like that. Contrast that with the new version of Doctor Who, which ditched the futuristic white aesthetic in favor of something that looks like a dirty sewer: Original:
console.jpg
New:
console1.jpg
Feels like a cheat, and I'd guess time will be much kinder to the former than the latter.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The captain looks kinda small in his chair.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me when they go into warp or make any maneuver why everyone doesn't fall down or why their organs don't get ripped from their bodies? We aren't talking about 60 mph, more like miles/sec

There must be some technical thing I'm missing.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cast looks interesting, and I saw that they have someone playing Chris Pike. For all you non-geeks, Pike was an earlier commander of enterprise and Spock's original captain before James Tiberius Kirk. You can see Pike in Star Trek's only two-part episode, The Menagerie.

The Menagerie is also interesting in that it features Spock being court martialed and some of the officers in (Star Fleet) formal dress.

Septavius

Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
Can someone tell me when they go into warp or make any maneuver why everyone doesn't fall down or why their organs don't get ripped from their bodies? We aren't talking about 60 mph, more like miles/sec

There must be some technical thing I'm missing.

Ships have inertial dampeners.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Exactly... and one reason when as a clever plot-development they say "Inertial dampeners offline!" everybody gets thrown all over the place.

Yes, I freely admit being dorky and loving Star Trek. I haven't really liked any of the movies since Star Trek VI: the Undiscovered Country, but I still go and see them at the theatre anyway and this one will be no exception.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads