• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First pair of suede oxfords - brogue, captoe or monk?

changy

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a pair of suede oxfords, which style would be the most versatile? Specifically, I'm considering the following, they are all on AS 87 last. Any other recommendations for sub $200 will be appreciated too.
web9396815grande.jpg
web7486983grande.jpg
web6799544grande.jpg

Gwarg

Reaction score
I think the first would be the most versatile.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One and three are good, where did you find those?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd go for the wingtips. I have a pair of suede wingtips and they're ridiculously versatile (I'm wearing a pair today as it happens). It kind of depends on your overall aesthetic tho'. If you wear lots of city suits, they're probably not the most versatile choice, and the monks would work better despite being more casual. But of you wear a fair amount of country-ish type looks, the wingtips will go with everything.

If you like a more slim jeans/urban look, I reckon the suede monks are best.

Captoe suede strikes me as a no-man's-land. I'd prefer a suede monk with a suit (or slim jeans), and a suede wingtip with casual country.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go with suede captoes. Suede is already casual, and I like pairing it with the formal captoe. To me it makes it more versatile - the casualness of the material can dress down a suit, and the formality of the style can dress up slacks and a sports coat.

Also it's just personal preference, I think suede captoes look better. There's enough surface texture with suede that you don't need the embellishments of a monk's buckle or brogueing to make the shoe interesting; in fact, they are distracting and detract from the suede.

Note that this is just my opinion, and probably violates Da Rules.
laugh.gif

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
I'd go for the wingtips. I have a pair of suede wingtips and they're ridiculously versatile (I'm wearing a pair today as it happens). It kind of depends on your overall aesthetic tho'. If you wear lots of city suits, they're probably not the most versatile choice, and the monks would work better despite being more casual. But of you wear a fair amount of country-ish type looks, the wingtips will go with everything.

If you like a more slim jeans/urban look, I reckon the suede monks are best.

Captoe suede strikes me as a no-man's-land. I'd prefer a suede monk with a suit (or slim jeans), and a suede wingtip with casual country.

This. Wingtips are your best all around value in my opinion.

I have a pair of suede captoes, but I wish I would have purchased wingtips.

Shoe fetishisisisist

Reaction score
^^^ +1

I have my eye on a pair of suede Hilfiger captoes which are gorgeous and look really well made and swanky, not to mention they're on sale at less than half price
bounce2.gif

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have pair of No. 3 and get a lot of wear out of them.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about versatility. Suede, by definition, is a style statement.
I would go with the monks, or, if available, a pair of two or three eylet
bluchers (derbies). For me the other styles distract from the texture
of the suede.

miurasv

Reaction score
Monks for me. Overall, probably my favorite style of shoe. No 1 does nothing for me at all.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GrensonSpecial01.jpg

These Grenson Masterpiece's see a lot of wear from me!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads