1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

first pair of "nice" jeans

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by mr.loverman, Sep 11, 2007.

1. dhinggok

dhinggok Senior member

i'm looking for a plain, everyday, sturdy jean that won't be worn hard, basically for walking, sitting down, lounging. i want to emphasize that i want them to be sturdy, but not iron stiff like apc. the 3 candidates are:

1) nudie thin finn in dry
    2) j brand clint in indigo
    3) rag and bone rb 11 or rb 15

i'm 5'10 and 130 pounds. i have no ass. i want these jeans to just look like regular, slimmer, not tight, not loose, jeans on me. i've heard that the j brand jeans run skinnier for guys. well, i'm looking for opinions so please give them.

2. Double D

Double D Senior member

If you have no ass the low yoke on Thin Finns may well make you look like you've just shat yourself.

I'd give more consideration to the Slim Jim and Grim Tim for a more inoffensive slim cut.

3. kiya

kiya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

i'm looking for a plain, everyday, sturdy jean that won't be worn hard, basically for walking, sitting down, lounging. i want to emphasize that i want them to be sturdy, but not iron stiff like apc. the 3 candidates are:

1) nudie thin finn in dry
    2) j brand clint in indigo
    3) rag and bone rb 11 or rb 15

i'm 5'10 and 130 pounds. i have no ass. i want these jeans to just look like regular, slimmer, not tight, not loose, jeans on me. i've heard that the j brand jeans run skinnier for guys. well, i'm looking for opinions so please give them.

You need the Iron Heart 634s... the fit is exactly what you're looking for and they're beyond sturdy yet not stiff at all.
    http://www.selfedge.com/shop/index.p...roducts_id=205

4. mr.loverman

mr.loverman Senior member

dhinggok,

thanks for highjacking my thread you dick

5. mr.loverman

any other recommendations for my first pair of "nice" jeans under $200?

i want these to be a good investment that i will be just as happy wearing 2 years from now.

6. mr.loverman

so if i buy a raw/dry pair of indigo dyed jeans are they going to rub off and ruin furniture and t-shirts?

7. square wave

square wave Well-Known Member

no. would everyone buy them if they did so? they can rub off if you rub your a$$ on white carpet or something, which has happend to me but nothing else really...

8. cd1076

cd1076 Well-Known Member

You really can't go wrong with Nudie RR's especially if you're not skin and bones. That's what I bought for my first pair. Make sure you buy selvedge RR's because I bought a non-selvedge pair on accident and the difference is night and day. The Eternal 811's are nice but they fit a little more snug than I like and are more tapered than I'm used to.

9. DGP

DGP Senior member

Make sure you buy selvedge RR's because I bought a non-selvedge pair on accident and the difference is night and day.

I really don't think the selvage means anything, it's more a question of color (assuming you got RRDG). I just got some of the new Dry Japans, will report when they start to fade.

10. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

no. would everyone buy them if they did so? they can rub off if you rub your a$$ on white carpet or something, which has happend to me but nothing else really...
    This isn't entirely correct. There are jeans that will in fact rub off onto white shirts, shoes, car seats, etc... They don't all do it though, and some are worse than others.

11. mr.loverman

so which is best between nudies, APC and rag and bone?

also which one stains the least?

ive heard that nudies tear a lot.

12. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

Rag & Bone probably won't wear in as "nicely" as Nudie and APC. Also, I never had a problem with Nudie's staining anything (only have experience with the DRy Selvage), my Rag & Bone's did stain my shoes, but that was about it.

I don't think tearing is that big of a problem with any of the brands unless you intend to buy them tight as hell. The occasional wash would help minimize the risk too.

13. DGP

DGP Senior member

so which is best between nudies, APC and rag and bone?

also which one stains the least?

ive heard that nudies tear a lot.

Depends what your priorities are. I would say Nudie is best for fit and diversity of fits, APC is one of the better premium denim values, and Rag & Bone's denim and workmanship just blow the other two away. Personally, I'm a Nudie man. To me it's all about the cuts, and I see Nudies today as similar to Diesel five years ago. APC's cuts have never really impressed me, and there are some great Nudie fits. I've always loved RB, but they just don't fit me, as my waist size only comes in a 32 length. There are reasons why each is the best, what are your priorities?

14. mr.loverman

well i have a pretty small waist. about 29".but my jeans range from 29s to 31s depending on the fit of the brand and how many squats i have been doing. my inseam would be like 28 or 29" with no cuff.

right now i'm 5'8 1/2" 153lbs with a muscular build. i lift so depending on how bulked i am my weight can go up to 170lbs. but since thats mostly muscle, it won't be too much volume.

do most of these jeans stretch?

i plan on putting some muscle on in the next couple months so i want a pair of jeans that can keep up.

also, i want something that will still function and be cool in 2 years. i said i wanted to keep it under $200 but i might pay a little extra if i am getting a lot more value.

15. DGP

DGP Senior member

well i have a pretty small waist. about 29".but my jeans range from 29s to 31s depending on the fit of the brand and how many squats i have been doing. my inseam would be like 28 or 29" with no cuff.

right now i'm 5'8 1/2" 153lbs with a muscular build. i lift so depending on how bulked i am my weight can go up to 170lbs. but since thats mostly muscle, it won't be too much volume.

do most of these jeans stretch?

i plan on putting some muscle on in the next couple months so i want a pair of jeans that can keep up.

also, i want something that will still function and be cool in 2 years. i said i wanted to keep it under $200 but i might pay a little extra if i am getting a lot more value.

Everyone seems to say APCs stretch a ton. Nudies stretch some, and shouldn't give you any problems unless you get ultra-jacked. Not sure about RB, but I would tend to think those will stretch less than the other two.