• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First pair of good shoes for the office: AE Delray?

kwright11

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of buying a pair of Allen Edmond's Delrays to wear for work. I'm in need of a pair, especially if they're comfortable, that will last a long time and I can wear alot. Anybody have any suggestions or comments as to if these are the shoes to get or if there are any substitutes at a similar price point (or lower)?

Thanks

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not my cup of tea. I'd go for a more classic 5th Avenues or Park Avenues, alternatively the Vernons are really nice. And finally, a different look, but the Strands are great.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Delrays are nice shoes. Quality of AE is good and they will last long if cared for and not worn daily. They are derby shoes - hence a less formal shoe. If they are a good choice depends on your dress code at work: If it is suit and tie, I'd go for an oxford like the AE Park Avenue or Fifth Avenue, if it is business casual the Delrays are a good choice.

Regarding fit: That is something you gotta find out by trying the shoes in the appropriate size (length AND width). Nobody here can tell you since we don't know your feet.

allaboutshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by anginaprinzmetal
Not my cup of tea. I'd go for a more classic 5th Avenues or Park Avenues, alternatively the Vernons are really nice. And finally, a different look, but the Strands are great.
+1. I would also go for the Fifth or Park Aves. Alternatively, you can go with the Strand if you want a little more kick in your step. P.S. I can get them for you at a great discount so PM me when you make a decision (see link in signature below)

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
To expand on the replies above, nothing wrong with the quality of Delrays, but keep in mind that they're split-toe bluchers. If your office is business casual and you never need to wear a suit, they're perfectly fine.

If you're looking to get shoes to wear with a suit, the Fifth Avenue or Park Avenue would be great choices.

Personally, I'd go with the Strands--they go with business casual, but they can also be dressed up with a sportcoat or a not super-formal suit.

Also, not sure what you mean by wearing them a lot--you need to give your shoes at least every other day off, otherwise you'll wear them down quickly.

kwright11

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, duly noted.
Dress code is business casual, slacks, button down shirt and a tie. I have a pair of shoes that I like to wear with my suit and was looking for something more laid back for the business casual look. I do like the look of the strands, but I already have a pair of J&M brogues that I wear as well.

JDMills

Reaction score
I have a pair of Delrays in the brown and I love them, I find them very comfortable and make my wide foot look not so wide. But everyone above it right about the formality, I would never wear them with a suit, but with chinos, jeans and odd pants most definitely.

kwright11

Reaction score
I do have some credit on amazon for selling my textbooks, how stupid would I be to buy a new pair in 11 E for $325?
honesty appreciated.

tenfingers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwright11
I do have some credit on amazon for selling my textbooks, how stupid would I be to buy a new pair in 11 E for $325?
honesty appreciated.

Pretty sure allaboutshoes, who posted above, can get you a much better deal than that. PM him and check out his thread, it's legit and a great deal.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at the AE Parliament in saddle brown. Looks like the Strand, but has the orthotic and executive sole. I have this shoe and it is a very comfortable shoe. The 5 last on the Strand/Park Avenue/Fifth Avenue fits a bit snug on my feet. But the Parliament is great for me. I can wear it all day with no problems.

In the saddle brown, the Parliament can go from suit to sport coat to business casual very well.

Chris

bwp

Reaction score
Not sure where you are located but if you have a Nordstrom Last Chance check there, I routinely see delrays there for $40. Usually in good shape, just in need of a conditioning/polishing.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hohneokc
Look at the AE Parliament in saddle brown. Looks like the Strand, but has the orthotic and executive sole. I have this shoe and it is a very comfortable shoe. The 5 last on the Strand/Park Avenue/Fifth Avenue fits a bit snug on my feet. But the Parliament is great for me. I can wear it all day with no problems.

In the saddle brown, the Parliament can go from suit to sport coat to business casual very well.

Chris

It has a rubber sole. Would not recommend wearing that with a suit.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the moc-toe of the Delray. If you want a blucher consider the AE Leeds. If you have a high instep it will be more comfortable than the Park Avenue, but is still acceptable to wear with a suit.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlexE
It has a rubber sole. Would not recommend wearing that with a suit.

It has a rubber sole, but stacked leather heel. This is nothing like the Vibram soles you see on some shoes, including some AE shoes. The Parliament looks just like the Strand unless you look directly at the bottom of the sole. I wear all 3 of my Executive Collection AE's (with rubber Executive sole) with suits.

Also, OP said he has shoes for his suit and was looking for something more "laid back for the business casual look".

Chris

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics