• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First pair of Crockett & Jones

Mister Sloth

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to the forums, but I have read them a lot in the past to find the answers to my questions. It has always helped because you can get so many opinions which you didn't even think of.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find an answer, so I knew that I would find here people with experience.

I'm 21 and live in Brussels. I have recently started to get very interested in classic shoes. It feels like you just discovered a new world. I've worked in Paris this summer where I bought my first "real" pair of shoes at Stanbridge (this one: http://www.stanbridge.fr/chaussure-homme/richelieu-gold-piece-rapportee/34225-140283) which is a Blake Oxford with a cap-toe. I paid 150 euros which seemed like right, but the leather is quite stiff.

I don't have any decent black shoe, so I wanted to make a good investment. Something that I could keep for 8+ years. I take an awful lot of care of my things. I currently have enough money so that I don't get broke after buying one pair. I don't wear a suit every day. Actually, not very often although I'd like to. I wear dark levis 501 most of the time, so I'm looking for something that is versatile which can be casual and formal. It doesn't have to be very formal because I won't attend any business meeting. I plan on getting more variety with my trousers.

I've thought of getting a black cap-toe like C&J Hallam because I've heard that is the most classical shoe for men, but I'm not sure that is the kind of shoe you would wear with jeans. After, I thought of the C&J Tetbury which looks more versatile. I haven't found many reviews on the Internet. It looks like it gets a lot of creases. Is it always the case with boots or is it because the shoe isn't tight enough.

Gentlemen, I need your insight. Do you think that spending this amount of money at 21 on shoes is crazy. What would you advise me. I'm open to all opinions, all brands, all styles, but I think that I need a black pair of shoes (for the evening for example). Pretend that I only have the shoe I mentioned above. I also saw the Loake 1880 Kempton which looks very similar to the C&J Tetbury, but if the quality is 2x better I prefer spending more.

I know that there is a C&J store in Brussels, but I wanted to have clearer thoughts before going because I don't want to bother them too much.

Thank you very much for your help.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for casual, avoid the Hallam. It is as business-formal as you can get. The Tetbury would be better I suppose. For casual shoes from C&J, I find I like their non-black boots the best, like the Islay, Skye, Lindrick (for Ralph Lauren) and some of the Chelsea boots.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Money spent on something that is of real good quality and last a long time is never wasted. Better to spend it that way than to send less on something you have to replace more frequently.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You've got to decide for yourself at what point more money spent for more "quality" stops making sense. At some point, for almost everyone, it's not worth it to pay more. There's always a higher price point. If C&J is better than Loake, then why not get EG, or Lobb, or bespoke Delos? Using the rule of thumb "always pay more" isn't very helpful.

But it's good to understand what you're getting by paying more, and then decide whether it's worth it for you. The Loake 1880 line is a well made shoe, and I think gives good value for the money. Same with C&J. By paying more, I think you're getting nicer leather and nicer design. In general, I like the C&J lasts more than the Loake lasts. You're also getting nicer finishing on the C&J, with the sole trimming and things like that.

Best thing to do is look at them both in person. The C&J will age better, due to the better leather, but both shoes should last you quite a while if properly cared for.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can shop in France and you are interested in black shoes it would be difficult to beat Bexley.

They are calf leather, Goodyear welted and are available in classic styles.

Put a topy on the sole and you are sorted.

Longevity is not necessarily greater with C&J

You definitely will not get a wholecut like the Stanford for that money anywhere else. Madison is the cap toe. You could have both for less than a pair of C&J bench grades.
http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/en/p/dress_shoes/stanford/oxford_shoes?coloris=noir

http://www.bexley.com/Bexley/en/p/dress_shoes/madisonclassic/oxford_shoes?coloris=noir

Mister Sloth

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies.

It is true that I didn't consider the Chelsea boots. It could be a good idea.

I took a look at the Bexley shoes that Kingstonian mentioned. The price is very attractive, but I didn't really like the lasts on the ones that you showed. They looked very wide.

What are your thoughts between the C&J Tetbury and the Chelsea boots? They both look versatile to me, but I might be wrong. Is the Tetbury still too formal?

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Money spent on something that is of real good quality and last a long time is never wasted. Better to spend it that way than to send less on something you have to replace more frequently.
Agreed. If it's something you enjoy and will get use out of, nothing wrong with making an expensive purchase once in awhile. People our age spend the same amount of money or more on electronics (which a pair of quality shoes will outlast).

atia2

Reaction score
Why not go for a black loafer? It goes with a suit but will also look great with your Levis, as well as being different and distinctive. I would choose penny over tassel. Something like the Sydney.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Why not go for a black loafer? It goes with a suit but will also look great with your Levis, as well as being different and distinctive. I would choose penny over tassel. Something like the Sydney.
No loafers go with suits.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is pretty common for European to wear loafers to work.

If you are going to get one, I will prefer JM Weston classic loafers.

Black derby can also be a good choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads