• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Pair Allen Edmonds!

guynamedsean

Reaction score
Before finding styleforum, I used to buy colehaans. Then I saw the quality of colehaans get lower and lower. So then I moved to certain Johnston Murphys that were labled "made in italy". After that, I bought a couple of Bally's, a pair from Gucci, etc. I really havent been impresssed with any of them.

After all I read about Allen Edmonds here, I started my quest. A month ago I found some at DSW but they were all wides and narrows. I immediately recognized the quality. So the quest continued. I went back to all the DSWs in Houston every week for a month. I never found any in my size, and if I did they were not a dress oxford, bultcher, balmoral style. Everytime I went in there and found nothing, my girlfriend found a RL Collection shoe that she liked and I liked too. So I bought half a dozen shoes for her.

So I started thinking and I said to myself, "Sean (thats my name btw), You make enough money to buy these at retail. They are an excellent value even at 305.00. So just do it and quit trying save a 100.00?"

Well right when I was about to give in. My girlfreind convinced me to go into a DSW again, and I found the most attractive Allen Edmonds shoe that I have ever seen in the exact right size for 140.00! I haven't worn them yet, becuase we have had bad weather all week in Houston.

The model is the Troy. I don,t know how to describe them other than they rea like a plain lace up, but have a line of little holes across the toe that gives it the illusion of looking like a cap toe. then their is more brogue detailing on the sides that I really like.

Can some of the experts please tell me what last these are constructed on???? Now that I know my size, I want to order some online whenever they pop up.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guynamedsean
Can some of the experts please tell me what last these are constructed on???? Now that I know my size, I want to order some online whenever they pop up.

there should be a 4 digit number in the shoe. the last number of that 4 digit number is the last.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by guynamedsean
thnxs

So I guess its a 9004?

sounds like the 4 last..... which kind of sucks, because my understanding is that AE is slowly phasing it out. It should be very similar to the 1 and the 7 last, though.

however, the good news then is that a number of the shoes should be immediately available on discount due to their recently discontinued status.

i think the hillcrest is also on the 4 last, and is an example of a more fashion forward shoe. there should be a number of them at dsw. the byron is on the 4 last as well, and it would be a more sedate and traditional shoe.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Troy is, indeed, on the 4 last. I own them in black, where the side perforations are nearly invisible (v chili) to the casual observer. I find them to be an extremely comfortable shoe for a typical 13 hour workday wearing. If you find that this last works well for you, look for the Byron at deep discount in the very near future. They are a notch or notch and a half dressier and are also built on the 4 last.

guynamedsean

Reaction score
Thanks No Vayguy and Thursten. I wish I gad found this forum years ago

riveroaks

Reaction score
Sean,
Hello, fellow Houstonian. If you get the rubber soles put on, then you don't have to worry about the bad weather as much. These shoes are designed to take a beating and keep on ticking, with or without the rubbers soles, because they can also be re-soled though the rubber extends their life.

There were numerous Allen Edmonds of various sizes at DSW - I saw the Hillcrest, Fairfax, Holt, etc. Nordstrom also has a good selection. And if you venture up 45, Dallas has a couple of AE company stores.

Welcome to the AE Aficionados' Association and StyleForvm.

2.mark

Reaction score
Sean: Other places to buy Allen Edmonds at a discount in Houston:
Syms - Westheimer at Walnut Bend
Marshall's try the River Oaks and Meyerland plaza stores.

..Mark

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Troy in chestnut. It is indeed a nice shoe. Congratulations in getting started on building a quality shoe wardrobe, but I would caution that it can get very addictive--I bought my first A-Es 3 1/2 years ago, and I'm up to 34 pairs...plus four for my stepson.

There is a DSW near my office. I have been in there perhaps three times, and I have never seen anything I'd give house room to!

wgiceman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by riveroaks
Sean,
Hello, fellow Houstonian. If you get the rubber soles put on, then you don't have to worry about the bad weather as much. These shoes are designed to take a beating and keep on ticking, with or without the rubbers soles, because they can also be re-soled though the rubber extends their life.

There were numerous Allen Edmonds of various sizes at DSW - I saw the Hillcrest, Fairfax, Holt, etc. Nordstrom also has a good selection. And if you venture up 45, Dallas has a couple of AE company stores.

Welcome to the AE Aficionados' Association and StyleForvm.

I see that there are several Houstonians on the forum. I hope to get by the DSW this weekend and perhaps I can find the Fairfax in my size.

Jsoftz

Reaction score
At last check of the Galleria location, I didn't see any Fairfaxes there.. but perhaps they got some in now.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the darkside...

To further the sickness, I might recommend visiting Harold in the Heights. They stock both Santoni and Allen Edmonds, and are currently hosting a sale. You might get lucky with another pair of discounted shoes.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
i think the hillcrest is also on the 4 last, and is an example of a more fashion forward shoe. there should be a number of them at dsw. the byron is on the 4 last as well, and it would be a more sedate and traditional shoe.
Interesting that you describe the Hillcrest as "fashion forward": that's also what I've heard non-SF people call it, but here it seems that bicycle toes get so little love.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads