• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Overcoat

Thetam

Reaction score
so, back on topic for the OP - the coat style you posted is great. I prefer charcoal, but navy is fine too. Here's the important thing - you want to make sure it's the right weight fabric for the winters where you are at. Mine is 700g. The coat, with a scarf, is fine in the 30s and 20s (F). I've had other coats - my pea coat for example - that has a lighter weight that just isn't warm enough unless you're just going from car to building when it gets in the low 30s. I just bought a loden overcoat that is more casual - the maker includes a zip-out lining and with that it's warm, not as warm as my wool overcoat and if you're out for 1/2 hour in colder temps you feel the lack of warmth in the arms. So, the style you're looking at is perfect - timeless. But make sure the weight is heavy enough for your winters and make sure you get a couple cashmere scarfs - a top coat like that lets in a good amount of cool air but a scarf takes care of it perfectly.

Thanks for the tip. I will be mostly going from vehicle to building

To clarify its okay to wear navy overcoat with navy suit and gray overcoat with gray suit? Also what about gray overcoat with navy suit and navy overcoat with gray suit

Calanon

Reaction score

To clarify its okay to wear navy overcoat with navy suit and gray overcoat with gray suit? Also what about gray overcoat with navy suit and navy overcoat with gray suit
My personal opinion is navy coat + navy suit looks better than charcoal coat + charcoal coat. Char coat + navy suit and vice versa is good.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about coordinating suit and overcoat. Many people don't have a plethora of overcoats. You can wear Navy with Navy, Charcoal with Charcoal and vice versa.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of plethora, but I'd suggest at least four to be well-dressed. You need one dark and formal overcoat, one ditto in a lighter shade, one topcoat, and one other of your choosing (peacoat, shearling, tweed, etc.).

You can get by with fewer, but it won't be ideal. In fact, I think four is still pretty bare.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Tonal dressing is fine because the fabrics often have subtle differences that make them distinct. It may be the hue, shade, fiber, or sheen. Lots of things can lend contrast, even if they're technically the same color.

It's hard to know, however, without trying something on. To give an example, sometimes a blue can have a very warm tone to it, making it almost subtly purple. I find that it's easy to mix and match cold and warm tones when you're looking at small accessories, such as ties or pocket squares. But major items should be in the same temperature family, I think.

I still think the style of the overcoat is more important than the color. Sometimes a navy overcoat works in casual outfits; sometimes it doesn't. It's hard to know without trying something on, but I agree with the previous poster that a simple single-breasted topcoat is generic enough to work across many things.

Thetam

Reaction score
I can't find a navy classic overcoat in any local clothing stores. I'm in a small city in Canada. Any recommendations on where to buy online? Specific coat links are welcome

Thanks

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
So this thread was created just to make me dizzy, right?

It seems that coordinating the color of outer wear with inner wear is on a par with coordinating both with the color of your car seats. As DW points out, style seems priority. As for color, maybe choose what goes good with snow, mud, taxi splash or dog drool. If only one coat, consider a zip out lining. And/or one that has about 18" of coat button-tucked up under, to be let down depending on weather, formality or whim.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't find a navy classic overcoat in any local clothing stores. I'm in a small city in Canada. Any recommendations on where to buy online? Specific coat links are welcome

Thanks
Just look on eBay. Used overcoats in good condition are plentiful. There is little demand for a full length overcoat these days for various reasons, so prices are low.

Just search ’Crombie’ and your chest size and see what the results are.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks

As @Kingstonian said, ebay is a good bet. As long as you don't mind a slightly-used coat, you can often get far better quality and fit than what's on offer at most stores today.

The main issue with online shopping is that you don't always know how something will fit you unless you have precise measurements and know your own exactly. Also, how much are you willing to spend? That will inform many of your options.

Camerashy

Reaction score
Just seen this at first hand and it’s a lovely coat but would suggest sizing down
I’m a 44 jacket and it was too big even with a jacket under

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
For anyone looking for a good first overcoat, this looks nice, especially for the price. Maybe not the best for colder climates, though.
1611248096056.png

Thetam

Reaction score
Just seen this at first hand and it’s a lovely coat but would suggest sizing down
I’m a 44 jacket and it was too big even with a jacket under

Really nice coat but more than I want to spend

I was hoping to spend around $300

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of plethora, but I'd suggest at least four to be well-dressed. You need one dark and formal overcoat, one ditto in a lighter shade, one topcoat, and one other of your choosing (peacoat, shearling, tweed, etc.).

You can get by with fewer, but it won't be ideal. In fact, I think four is still pretty bare.

I have 4: a heavy weight navy overcoat made from Crombie wool, a semi-heavy weight loden Loden coat, a semi-heavy weight brown herringbone overcoat, a light weight burgundy-ish/brown-ish wool blend :confused2: topcoat. I still think I need a grey chesterfield and perhaps a camel hair covert.

And maybe a doubled breasted overcoat as well..

And maybe a trim fitting car coat or 3 (my lil brother is bound to steal 1)

Oh and I've always wanted a shearling...

Are furs considered too ostentatious? I might only wear it once or twice every other year but a black mink would be cool :rotflmao:

Yeah you're going to need more coats :lol:

Mirage-

Reaction score
I don't think the colour of the coat compared to suit makes much difference when you're just going from vehicle to building. Before anyone even realizes, you're inside and are taking it off.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
Really nice coat but more than I want to spend

I was hoping to spend around $300

I would recommend looking up eBay for this budget. Just get your measurements and how you'd like your coat to fit. Overcoats are pretty classic and I've always felt that for the price, vintage pieces are unbeatable. Some of my collection include a navy single breased polo coat with 80% wool, 10% vincuna (!) 10% nylon blend. It's immaculately tailored. I think I paid $120 for it. More recently I found a vintage Brooks Brothers overcoat with a real beaver fur collar and I think I paid around $150 for it. Bespoke quality for Zara prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads