• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Overcoat

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was referring to working in the “city” of London, ie the financial and banking district. And yes people do get sent home for turning up in brown shoes.

I used to live and work in London but have since left for Italy so now live in Venice. Not sure whether it is a major European city.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was referring to working in the “city” of London, ie the financial and banking district. And yes people do get sent home for turning up in brown shoes.

I used to live and work in London but have since left for Italy so now live in Venice. Not sure whether it is a major European city.

I have a friend in London who tells me that brown shoe thing is an iGent myth, but I can't say either way from first-hand knowledge.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was referring to working in the “city” of London, ie the financial and banking district. And yes I know of stories of people being sent home for turning up in brown shoes. London, particularly the city, is of course a microcosm but very traditional.

I used to live and work in London but have since left for Italy so now live in Venice. Not sure whether it is a “major” European city to be honest.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a friend in London who tells me that brown shoe thing is an iGent myth, but I can't say either way from first-hand knowledge.

Well I can say I’ve heard the stories too, from friends who work in the City...whether they’re just having a laugh in the pub is something else but they do say these things.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I liked about those coats was the colour, to be honest. I think navy coats are a little much with navy suits, and charcoal or even black are much more versatile for a dark suit wardrobe.

With jeans it kind of depends on the style you're going for, but I see black crombies with jeans and chelseas being done all the time here in Toronto - with the ladies swapping for earthy or black/white houndstooth. I think it looks great - very 60s meets 2020s.

BigBadBernard

Reaction score
Having worked in the City for nearly 20 years I’m happy to separate myth from fact here.

Firstly, there are various different cultures and professions within the City and I think very few of them would raise much of an eyebrow over choice of outerwear, within reason. If you turned up with an anorak over a suit (and some do) then there would be a general assumption that you were there to repair the photocopier, worked in IT, or were a life actuary. Otherwise I think you’re fairly safe with any tailored overcoat.

As for brown shoes, well, that’s a different matter. It would likely pass without comment if you were an insurance broker geezer type, but you’d have been spotted for that by your hair/accent/suit before anyone looked down at your feet. In the more respectable professions you would certainly be sent to change, or at the very least singled out as a bit of an oik.

TheBookie

Reaction score
Having worked in the City for nearly 20 years I’m happy to separate myth from fact here.

Firstly, there are various different cultures and professions within the City and I think very few of them would raise much of an eyebrow over choice of outerwear, within reason. If you turned up with an anorak over a suit (and some do) then there would be a general assumption that you were there to repair the photocopier, worked in IT, or were a life actuary. Otherwise I think you’re fairly safe with any tailored overcoat.

As for brown shoes, well, that’s a different matter. It would likely pass without comment if you were an insurance broker geezer type, but you’d have been spotted for that by your hair/accent/suit before anyone looked down at your feet. In the more respectable professions you would certainly be sent to change, or at the very least singled out as a bit of an oik.

As someone who has also worked in the City for a significant period of time and is acquainted with some of its more ancient traditions, I second what's been said here!

Also, agree with Ich_Dien on post #13, got to build foundations for a strong wardrobe.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For me, Venice, with the possible exception of Prague, is THE major European city.

Thetam

Reaction score
I would just buy a coat like this to start with, but it also depends where you live and what temperatures you will wear the overcoat. Navy is the most versatile, I would first get that and then branch out with more expressive colors.

Thanks, everyone for the input

This is the kind of overcoat I'm looking for (classic chesterfield?) just wasn't sure to go Gray or Navy sounds like either will work.

I was leaning towards Navy at first but wasn't sure if it was appropriate to wear a navy overcoat with a navy suit or dark wash jeans if I was dressing down

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A Chesterfield has a velvet collar. I would call the coat above just a navy topcoat.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hm, just asked another friend of mine who worked in finance in London. He said that he can imagine that sort of thing happening in the '90s at a snobby bank, but not in bigger finance jobs. He also said that most people wear black shoes today, but it's not a big deal if you wear brown ones.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Chesterfield has a velvet collar. I would call the coat above just a navy topcoat.

That, and a fly-front closure.

I actually really like that sort of buttoning, tbh.

Eucris

Reaction score
Hm, just asked another friend of mine who worked in finance in London. He said that he can imagine that sort of thing happening in the '90s at a snobby bank, but not in bigger finance jobs. He also said that most people wear black shoes today, but it's not a big deal if you wear brown ones.
You're friend is right on the possibility of being sent home during the '90s. These days in the city of London/Canary Wharf; people wear trainers, rectangular shaped shoes etc. The colour is generally black but you'll still find brown in town. You certainly will not get sent home for wearing brown.
Standards are very much relaxed these days.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so, back on topic for the OP - the coat style you posted is great. I prefer charcoal, but navy is fine too. Here's the important thing - you want to make sure it's the right weight fabric for the winters where you are at. Mine is 700g. The coat, with a scarf, is fine in the 30s and 20s (F). I've had other coats - my pea coat for example - that has a lighter weight that just isn't warm enough unless you're just going from car to building when it gets in the low 30s. I just bought a loden overcoat that is more casual - the maker includes a zip-out lining and with that it's warm, not as warm as my wool overcoat and if you're out for 1/2 hour in colder temps you feel the lack of warmth in the arms. So, the style you're looking at is perfect - timeless. But make sure the weight is heavy enough for your winters and make sure you get a couple cashmere scarfs - a top coat like that lets in a good amount of cool air but a scarf takes care of it perfectly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads