• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First order from Mytailor.com

yo!

Reaction score
I have become completely fed-up with the fit of OTR shirts and have decided to purchase a few MTM shirts from Mytailor.com I have been perusing SF for about 6 months now and have decided that I know enough to make that move forward even though I really shouldn't pay that much.

I briefly contemplated Jantzen, but it seems that (from the forum) one in three is satisfied, one in three is dissatisfied, and one in three is categorically against them.

I also contemplated local bespoke/MTM. There are two places, both seem to be about $150 a shirt which I decided was just too much for a lowly broke person like me.

So two-ply cottons from Mytailor seem to be just about right at ~$85 per shirt with shipping.

Because I won't need these shirts for work, they are merely for weekends and after work hours, I only need between 4 to 6 shirts for now. I plan on getting pretty much basics: solid blue, simple stripe, simple checks large, simple checks small, all button-down collars for wear under jackets.

So I guess my real question is how easy will it be for them to get the fit down? Should I order in batches of twos so that I can give advice for fixing the pattern or should I hope that they get it right the first time and order four at once?

I don't have anything too complicated, and I do have a few shirts that fit quite well which I could measure then ask for a few small changes.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had two mytailor.com shirts made when their rep was in town last year. Not bad for the price, but not the quality of Measure Up. All in all, a decent shirt for the price, but you get what you pay for.

Best option -- get measured by one of their reps during a road show. Second best would be to send them a MTM shirt to copy. If neither is an option, have a good local tailor measure you according to mytailor.com web site instructions. If you go with the last option, I'd suggest getting one or two test shirts as a starting order. Wear and launder it a few times then take it to your local tailor who measured you for modification to follow-on orders.

A final suggestion -- if this will be your first MTM shirt experience I highly suggest the local option. Get one or two to start. If the fit is not exactly right, they will alter it. The experience will cost a bit more, but you will learn from it. Then, have it copied in other fabric from mytailor.com. This what I did and it was worth it. $85 MTM shirts are a good deal, but only if they fit right.

Hope this helps,
Twotone

AdamInSF

Reaction score
Unless you have them measure you while they're traveling, I'd get them one at a time until the fit is exactly how you want it.

I had my wife measure me, and the shirt I ordered is pretty good, better than most OTR I've purchased, but not perfect. I then visited Mr. Hemrajani in September when he was in San Francisco, had him measure me, and ordered 4 shirts, all of which I'm very happy with.

Twotone's suggestion above is also a good one.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What brands are we familiar with that produce 2 ply shirts? What does band do?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics