• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First New Suit Purchase, Recommendations

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
I am purchasing my first suit sometime this month. I rarely if ever need to wear one (funeral, possible wedding, it would be crazy to go on a job interview the way things are going now) so if possible I'd like to get away fairly unscathed.

Can anyone make a recommendation for something around $300 US? H&M, Target Men, BR, something at Men's wearhouse? I have read the GQ articles about the best suits under $500 and typically I see Tommy Hilfiger, Nautica, H&M, and Target in there.

spence

Reaction score
I'd stay away from online and find a good sale at a mens store where you can get help to ensure the fit is correct. I'd take the Brooks Brothers outlet route first and see if you can get a good deal on a basic navy suit.

-spence

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+ 1. The BB outlet near my area has a 2 for $500 deal right now. Check it out if you need it quickly.

AintDatRite

Reaction score
If you live in SC, Dillards is having a closeout sale - everything 75% off. They have/had $1000 suits for $250...

Limniscate

Reaction score
Marco Valentino or Baroni on ebay from The Wizard of Ahhs. Use Microsoft cashback to get another 30% off. You'll end up paying around $220 for a Marco Valentino. BTW, I like your handle ... reference to Bad Boys?

crpz32

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Limniscate
Marco Valentino or Baroni on ebay from The Wizard of Ahhs. Use Microsoft cashback to get another 30% off. You'll end up paying around $220 for a Marco Valentino. BTW, I like your handle ... reference to Bad Boys?

I don't think the 30% back works for wizard purchases. Didn't work for me at least.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could someone quickly explain how this Microsoft cashback thing works, particularly on ebay? I've never heard of it before.

Flimsychicken

Reaction score
If you are patient and know your measurements, a NWT Hickey Freeman can be had on Ebay for under $300. Go to a local department store and try one on (the Madison is the standard) and then wait for your size to come up.

Otherwise, BB outlet is probably your best bet. If you live near a NM Last Call or Off Saks or Nordstrom Off Rack, you may get luck and find something nice for around $300.

Avoid Men's Wearhouse at all cost. You will only be disappointed if you purchase something there.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have time to look for a suit and won't need it immediately, shop around. I would even hunt around on ebay. I am not sure but Hart Marx might be in this range.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flimsychicken
This will give you the general idea:

http://ps3mods.blogspot.com/2008/06/...-cashback.html

Thanks, but I can't seem to get the sponsored link that says "You may get 35% off with PayPal if eligible" to appear, seemingly because my sponsored site is ebay.ca, rather than .com. Are Canadians eligible for this promotion? If so, can anyone explain how we can take advantage of it?

Mike Lowry

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies.

Yes the name is in reference to Bad Boys.

No, I do not need a suit quickly.

I live in St. Louis, so no I do not have any of those outlet stores near me. I will be taking a trip to Kenosha, WI in a few weeks and could swing thru Chi-town if anyone could point me to an Off 5th or Nordstrom Rack, etc.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
only works in US
Originally Posted by holymadness
Thanks, but I can't seem to get the sponsored link that says "You may get 35% off with PayPal if eligible" to appear, seemingly because my sponsored site is ebay.ca, rather than .com. Are Canadians eligible for this promotion? If so, can anyone explain how we can take advantage of it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads