• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First navy blazer advice

vkn1

Reaction score
I need to purchase my first navy blazer and would appreciate advice on a couple matters.

One regards how much to spend. I wonder where the sweet spot is in terms of cost as well as where the point of diminishing returns is in terms of quality. As an analogy, in shoes I think of spending less than ~$180 a poor idea because what you get is tremendously obviously so much lower quality than if you'd spent a little more. However, if you spend say 200-300 you can get something truly great and perhaps a better value than spending more. Can anyone suggest what the price range in blazers is that's comparable to the price range in shoes that includes Allen Edmonds, Meermin, Loake, Yanko?

The second regards when it makes sense to go off the rack and when it makes sense to go made to measure. Many made to measure options that involve manufacture in china seem to have reasonable prices. However, if I am 5' 11" 155 lbs, with very standard/athletic body shape, then is there any reason to go made to measure anyway? I'm afraid I'm not experienced enough to be a good judge of fit myself, but do wonder how one decides between these two options.

Lastly, my location is Paris France and any suggestions on good sellers would be nice as well. Thank you ahead for your help.

ThomGault

Reaction score
If you can find something OtR that fits reasonably well and can be altered to be close to perfect, get it. MtM is about saving effort of doing many alterations, but it's still based on an impersonal pattern and thus still has limitations. The other benefit of MtM is customization. One can add ticket pockets, functional button holes, etc. If that doesn't appeal to you, OtR should be fine.

vkn1

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. Yes, I think I'll try to find something good OTR rather than MTM.

Any suggestions on what price range to look for and/or brands?

ThomGault

Reaction score
At this point in my life, I either buy high quality pre-owned clothes from ebay, or get MtM. For a MtM jacket, I would budget at least $600 or more, based on prices of a good local tailor and cloth choice. For eBay, I've found great almost unworn vintage Brooks Broothers for $10/garment, with the knowledge that tailoring would be necessary. It all depends on your situation and desires.
Regarding brands, again, it all depends on the style for which you're looking. I prefer vintage BB over new low-end BB. But you might prefer a more European style, and might like other brands entirely. And, of course, your budget will determine where you shop, too.

vkn1

Reaction score
I've got one recommendation for Brooks Brothers. They aren't available here in Paris, though. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads