• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First MTM suit

Cailet

Reaction score
Just want to see what you guys think of this. Had some trouble with the measurements at first but Lanieri sorted ne out peetty well I thibk. I'm pretty happy with it but wonder if the arms might be a touch long. Apologies for mediocre photo.

20190227_174741.jpg

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Hi, it is always difficult to judge from one picture. It looks nice, but def the sleeves are too long, and one has to speculate about the shoulder width and (without shoes) the leg length. Still, I applaud your choice of style (double breasted, hemmed legs).

I am curious to know how your tailor will approach the sleeves. The location of your sleeve buttons will make it difficult to shorten them, and I think the buttons will need to be repositioned (are they functional, btw?). My belief is that they should have been attached only after proper sleeve length had been determined.

Last edited:

Cailet

Reaction score
Hi, it is always difficult to judge from one picture. It looks nice, but def the sleeves are too long, and one has to speculate about the shoulder width and (without shoes) the leg length. Still, I applaud your choice of style (double breasted, hemmed legs).

I am curious to know how your tailor will approach the sleeves. The location of your sleeve buttons will make it difficult to shorten them, and I think the buttons will need to be repositioned (are they functional, btw?). My belief is that they should have been attached only after proper sleeve length had been determined.

What do you think is off about the shoulders? I was pretty happy with the line there. I think the cuffs are functional so that might need some care taking. I'm used to rtw being too short tbh.

Cailet

Reaction score
Ok, got some more pictures, courtesy of my fiancee. I'm pretty happy with the trousers but the bottom of the jacket has a lot of hanging threads and the breasts don't seem to line up at the bottom. Not sure what's to be done there :/o

20190228_212642.jpg

20190228_212653.jpg

20190228_212749.jpg

20190228_212623.jpg

20190228_212756.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The jacket is a little boxier than I'd prefer. IMO it is harder to get a great fit with a DB jacket than with a SB jacket. I think it'd probably look better if it were trimmer throughout, while still maintaining some waist suppression.

Also I think you would have been better off with side vents, not a center vent.

Agree with the sleeves being too long.The trousers do not hang cleanly. Not sure how much of this is simply their being too long or if there is another issue that needs fixing.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
It certainly isn't perfect, but expectations should be managed for MTM. Strong points: The chest, the front mid section, generally the silhouette. Weaker points: The sleeve length (manageable, with all I had said about the cuff buttons), the leg length (I would have them shortened, though given some of the "hanging" in the back I am wondering - are you wearing the trousers without a belt, or is the waist looser than it should be?). As for the back, this is typically the best indicator of the tailoring. The upper traps seem to be fine with no collar roll present. A collar gap cannot be assessed, but there does not appear to be one either. Moving down, there is some excessive cloth on the armpit level. This is also confirmed by the vertical creases in the middle (this is not a bullet-proof rule, but often times vertical creases = too much cloth, horizontal creases = too little). I've seen worse, though. The midsection is okay for me, though today's young men would prefer a tighter fit (I am not sure this will be easily done, given the wider mid-upper back). I do have a few quite suppressed jackets, but there I always insist on having the sleeves narrowed. To my mind (and eye) there is nothing sadder about a suit than a tight body contrasted with RTW sleeves that flap in the wind and crease when calm. The bottom hangs nicely, there is no "hidden tail". Like breakaway's, mine would be a preference for side vents, but you probably knew what you were doing.

As for the unequal length from the front, I cannot imagine why this is so. There might be a sartorial reason for that, but I am not familiar with any rule that would mandate it. In fact, you had me run to my closet and try on my few double breasted items to explore. They are all "levelled". I am perplexed.

Last edited:

Cailet

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll get back to them about it.

Re: trousers, I'm not wearing a belt, there are cinch straps at the side but I've lost a fair bit of weight since ordering. I'll try with suspenders and see what happens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads