• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First MTM Suit Guidance

Skybrooks

Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be ordering my first Made To Measure suit in the next couple weeks and would like some guidance before I attend the initial appointment. To start off, I have chosen to go with Edit Suits Co. in London - if anyone has experience with them I would love to hear it.

I am going to remove all my off the rack suits and start over; this new suit will be the foundation of my wardrobe. I have done my research and come to the following base specification:

Single Breasted, Two Piece - Dark Navy Suit

- Mother of pearl buttons for the entire suit.

Jacket:
- Notched Lapels
- Two Buttons
- Two "Flap" Pockets
- Full Canvas (No Glue!)
- Surgeon's Cuffs

Trousers:
- Two back pockets.
- Cuffed (turn-ups) with no break.

What vents and waistband would you suggest I go for on this suit?

Edit Suits Co. offer the below fabrics; once I feel them in person I believe it will be easier to make my mind up but any suggestions off the bat?

Screenshot 2021-05-08 at 14.08.22.png

Thank you in advance for any assistance; I am still learning!

SB

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m partial to a dual vented but single is fine too.

Regarding the “no break”. This is tricky. The leg opening would need to be pretty narrow otherwise the cuff being suspended Off of the top of the shoe will look just plain strange. I like a slight break though the term means different things to different people.

As for fabric, consider when you mostly wear suits. I’d go with a three season wool just for versatility, seeing as how you’re getting rid of everything else. Navy two piece is a good choice; keep it simple and go from there.

good luck.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
I agree with the above.

Also, while not necessarily relevant to you placing your order, be careful with having this suit cleaned. MOP buttons are apparently fairly easy for a careless dry cleaner to crush if they press the suit in a machine. I know because I've picked up a couple deeply discounted sport coats online that were sold by guys who apparently got the buttons crushed that way and didn't want to deal with it.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise @Phileas Fogg @BPL Esq - I went with Horn buttons in the end.

Kept it simple - Full Canvas, Navy Holland & Sherry cloth with double vents, 3.25inch notched lapel, slanted pockets w/o ticket pocket.

I will post a picture once it's done to get some feedback on the fit.
Sounds great. Looking forward to pics when you get it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads