• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First MTM, Suit Fit Check - Oliver Wicks

pfjoshb

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Casual lurker who recently purchased a suit from Oliver Wicks.

I know online MTM doesn't get a ton of love -- but I wanted to see what you think of OW's first try. I went in with expectations that the suit was not going to be perfect the first go. Overall, I think they did a pretty good job. But my eye isn't as seasoned as many of yours when it comes to a good fit on a suit.

Suit: 40R, Charcoal Pick and Pick, Super 110s, VBC.
Trousers: Side tabs, suspender buttons.

I really appreciate any and all feedback. I am going to be emailing the rep tomorrow with my comments so anything is helpful! Thank you!

(Also, excuse the tag on the shirt, just got it from a subscription box the same time I was trying on suit and figured I'd put it on rather than get a clean dress shirt out).

Attachments

• IMG_5262.jpg
    IMG_5262.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_5250.jpg
    IMG_5250.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_5249.jpg
    IMG_5249.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_5252.jpg
    IMG_5252.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_5254.jpg
    IMG_5254.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_5253.jpg
    IMG_5253.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_5255.jpg
    IMG_5255.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_5257.jpg
    IMG_5257.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_5258.jpg
    IMG_5258.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_5260.jpg
    IMG_5260.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_5261.jpg
    IMG_5261.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 460

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take all this with a grain of salt:
There are several things off about the jacket. It is a little short on you but more importantly the buttoning point is very high and it looks tight in the chest. The buttoning point seems to be closer to the top of your breastbone than it is to your navel. The lapels are bowing () not straight V indicating chest tightness. The quarters of the jacket are quite closed. The shoulders and sleeveheads look off -- ends of the shoulders are protruding in a way that doesn't look good.

Trousers: The top block might be a little tight -- see the slight horizontal lines of tension across the front? I think the trouser pockets are flaring a bit, which goes along with the trousers being a little tight across the top block. The legs are slimmer than I like but they hang reasonably well, especially for how slim they are.

pfjoshb

Reaction score
Thank you!

I tend to agree with everything you said except for the jacket length. That’s the part that feels right about it.
Thanks again! Sounds like a total remake!

pfjoshb

Reaction score
I will note that the button is about three fingers above my naval if that means anything

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is not as high as I would have thought from the photos but think you could drop the buttoning point by 0.75" or so. Even though you think the jacket length is fine as is, if you do decide to lower the buttoning point you may want to lengthen the jacket by 0.5" to keep it looking proportional.

pfjoshb

Reaction score
That definitely makes sense. I definitely wished it came out better.

Anymore feedback is welcome. I’ll definitely keep you updated on Oliver Wicks reply and subsequent remake.

Bersabee

Reaction score
Hey, any updates on the product? I can't find much reviews on the company but I am tempted to buy a suit from them. What are your thoughts?

Pants look perfect IMO btw

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the suit looks a bit too slim all around, jacket, trousers, etc.

A very easy way to check for the fit of the suit is to look for pulling and puckering. A suit should have clean lines -- relatively speaking, as fabric moves -- when you're standing still. Like this:

tumblr_nzzwspxpAF1rf1jvro1_1280.jpg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s just too tight, my man. I’m not sure the flaws here will be remedied with a recut or remake.

The proportions are off so if they tweak one thing, it will likely throw off something else. As for the button stance, it is too high but they won’t be able to fix that. That’s their pattern.

in all honesty, just get your money back. That fit looks not better, perhaps worse, than off the rack. Given that, just get off the rack and have it finished to your fit.

You can’t do made to measure on the cheap. You’ll end up with what you have.

Bersabee

Reaction score
I’m afraid to ask by what platonic ideal of perfection you’re judging these pants.

Platonic ideal. Never heard that before - interesting concept.

I mean around the legs. Should of specified that yes the trousers are too long. Not sure if there's anything I missed.

This is my opinion. Obviously I am much younger than you so have different tastes.

Can agree that the jacket needs a complete remake tho.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Platonic ideal. Never heard that before - interesting concept.

I mean around the legs. Should of specified that yes the trousers are too long. Not sure if there's anything I missed.

This is my opinion. Obviously I am much younger than you so have different tastes.

Can agree that the jacket needs a complete remake tho.

it doesn’t bother you that his junk is about to blow through the front? I can’t imagine what happens when he tries to sit.

Bersabee

Reaction score
it doesn’t bother you that his junk is about to blow through the front? I can’t imagine what happens when he tries to sit.

Give the people a show ??‍♀️

Realistically, could that be solved with pleats to give more room?

I don't really see what you mean. Doesn't look extremely tight from my pov. That being said, I am not too experienced in this

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With a proper fitting coat, especially on that build, the pants would look too small. A suit's proportions are about creating a total silhouette, not just any one specific item.

For a pair of jeans worn with a denim trucker jacket, that silhouette for pants may be fine. For a suit jacket, unless you have the build for a Saint Laurent suit, it's going to look too slim.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give the people a show ??‍♀️

Realistically, could that be solved with pleats to give more room?

I don't really see what you mean. Doesn't look extremely tight from my pov. That being said, I am not too experienced in this

Could that problem be solved with pleats? Perhaps. Lack of pleats are not the problem with those. Flat and pleated front slacks can fit just as poorly or just as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads