• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First MTM shirts: sleeve cuff shrinkage

JeffC

Reaction score
I went through individualized shirts, and I am happy with the fit results, it's just one thing I'm a little unhappy with. The tailor I used added a little too much to one sleeve to account for my watch, so it feels a little big. I have not washed the shirts yet.

1-How much shrinkage should I expect in the sleeve cuff?
2-Can I accelerate it in the cuff only?

I'm only looking about 1" too wide, but if it will only shrink 1/4", then I may have problems. I don't want to "just wash it and see" in case there is something I can do before hand that will make the results better (doubtful).

I might have to take them to a more local tailor to have them redo the cuffs ($$$).

Jeff

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffC
I went through individualized shirts, and I am happy with the fit results, it's just one thing I'm a little unhappy with. The tailor I used added a little too much to one sleeve to account for my watch, so it feels a little big. I have not washed the shirts yet.

1-How much shrinkage should I expect in the sleeve cuff?
2-Can I accelerate it in the cuff only?

I'm only looking about 1" too wide, but if it will only shrink 1/4", then I may have problems. I don't want to "just wash it and see" in case there is something I can do before hand that will make the results better (doubtful).

I might have to take them to a more local tailor to have them redo the cuffs ($$$).

Jeff

I don't think you'll see much noticeable change in the cuff diameter. You could investigate simply moving the buttons.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I don't think you'll see much noticeable change in the cuff diameter. You could investigate simply moving the buttons.

+1. The shrinkage of dress shirts is overrated. I have not seen a noticeable difference in sizes of shirts that have been washed, dried and machine presssed numerous of times. This will especially be true with cuff diameter.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
1" is a lot. you can not move buttons that much.
take it back to the store/dealer. not a big deal to replace the cuffs. this should not be your responsibility to fix.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
1" is a lot. you can not move buttons that much.
take it back to the store/dealer. not a big deal to replace the cuffs. this should not be your responsibility to fix.

AGred- I was suggesting if you can't swing replacing the cuffs- moving them in just a little certainly helps.

JeffC

Reaction score
1" in circumference, not diameter. Shirts were purchased in Philaldelphia, but I live in DC so adjustment by the tailor will be difficult and time consuming. Will wash and see - I might be exagerating on the inch.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I predict that you will notice little if any difference in circumference in the cuff after washing. If you can't get back to the store, move the button as much as you can and see if the result is much better.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
first measure your wrist tightly.

they the cuffs flat.
what does the right cuff measure? from edge to edge
left Cuff?

how big is your watch?

send the shirts back to Phila. and let the tailor deal with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads