First MTM shirt

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by fx-83GT Plus, May 4, 2016.

1. fx-83GT Plus

fx-83GT Plus New Member

Hello,
    I've booked an appointment for a MTM shirt next month. Planning on having white pinpoint or twill, single cuffs, no placket, mother of pearl buttons, tab collar, one piece yoke. I want a tab collar because I don't like it when shirt collars don't fit the suit collar, and the next best thing is to have it cinched. I want MTM to have these small details that I like, and can't find off the rack. Thoughts to change my mind? Need some honest opinions, and tips/hints for a first MTM shirt.

Cheers!

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It seems like you know exactly what you want. I would allow the shirtmaker to make suggestions about fit, technical details, etc... since the shirt in your head might not be feasible for some reason. What you should insist on his how you'd like the finished project to look, though.

3. fx-83GT Plus

fx-83GT Plus New Member

Okay, would you say these details are all fine for an all round shirt? Mainly interviews, weddings, funerals (hopefully not), dressier events. It's been suggested to me a tab collar might stand out interviews for example...

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The tab collar is pretty unusual, so yes, it will stand out.

5. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. fx-83GT Plus

fx-83GT Plus New Member

Thanks for your opinion! Not had many interviews so I wasn't sure whether it was appropriate. Think I might change it to a slight spread after the advice I've been given!