• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First MTM n Toronto - spiros, fifth on king, trend custom tailors, or Harry Rosen?

needhelp

Reaction score
Need some advice. I'm looking to get my first MTM suit here in Toronto - would appreciate your thoughts on which of the following MTM options would best fit what I'm looking for. The motivating factor behind this is that one of my Boss suits recently bubbled...now that I've read through SF, i'm beginning to think I need to begin replacing my closet full of Boss / Strellson suits.

Options:
- Harry Rosen MTM
- Spiros
- Fifth on King
- Trend Custom

What I'm looking for:
- Firstly budget: my ceiling is probably $1000 to $1100. I would prefer something sub-$1000 though. I've picked the above options because they all have a starting rate around $700-800 depending on the project. This budget is also consistent with MSRP on a boss suit from Harry Rosen.

- Style/cut: From what i understand every tailor has their own thoughts/philosophy on style and cut. I'm looking for a 2button with more of a modern cut, something a bit more fitted. But something I can still wear to the office/client meetings. Regardless of the crap quality of boss suits, I've enjoyed the Queen/Sharp and Jam/Sharp cuts. Something similar in my next suit would work well for me.

- Quality: from what I have read so far - these guys all put out a quality product (fully canvassed, etc.) but I think what I'm looking for is which on of these options will provide me with the best balance between quality and price (and ultimately the best value).

- Fabric: I have to admit, I know very little about fabric. I will obviously try and educate myself by reading through SF. But would appreciate any experience any of you have had with fabric with these tailors.

Thanks!

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by needhelp
Need some advice. I'm looking to get my first MTM suit here in Toronto - would appreciate your thoughts on which of the following MTM options would best fit what I'm looking for.

Options:
- Harry Rosen MTM
- Spiros
- Fifth on King
- Trend Custom

What I'm looking for:
Firstly budget: my ceiling is probably $1000 to $1100. I would prefer something sub-$1000 though.
Style/cut: From what i understand every tailor has their own thoughts/philosophy on style and cut. I'm looking for a 2button with more of a modern cut, something a bit more fitted. But something I can still wear to the office/client meetings.
Quality - from what I haveread so far - these guys all put out a quality product (fully canvassed, etc.) but I think what I'm looking foe is which on of these options will provide me with the best balance between quality and price (and ultimately the best value)

I'd vote for Fifth on King - they are just within your budget ($800 or $1000 suits) but it does not hurt to peruse through each one prior to making your decision.
PM me if you want more details re: Fifth (I'm going through the MTM process right now).

jbuffone

Reaction score
Got Style Menswear does MTM starting at $800. Hard for me to say how it compares to the others in terms of quality/construction - I've never purchased MTM from them. But I was certainly happy with my suit. On a side note, it was ready in less than three weeks. Let us know what you end up going with and what your thoughts are on the final product (pix wouldn't hurt either) There's rarely a lot of Toronto-centric info here.

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbuffone
Got Style Menswear does MTM starting at $800. Hard for me to say how it compares to the others in terms of quality/construction - I've never purchased MTM from them.
For what it's worth my first MTM suit and sportcoat were from Got Style. The $800.00 price is for a fused 2 piece and the style that they're pushing currently is a really fitted look. A few weeks after wearing either piece on a weekly basis I had soon realized that both were really tight especially in the chest area and arm syles (sp?). Unfortunately the jackets couldn't be let out as there was no fabric available to do so. Measurements are done at the store and the suit is made in Montreal. My turnaround time was roughly a month at the time. The construction nonetheless was okay but there are better options out there.

needhelp

Reaction score
So I think my plan is to setup some time the guys at Trend as well as at Fifth on King, and just talk through what I'm looking for.

I will try my best to document my experience as I go.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please do.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
Just read your thread. Thanks for taking the time to review. If their suits are full canvass, they should update that on their website. They currently only indicate a canvas chest piece as opposed to full canvas construction.

Just checked the website and it does say the following:
"All suits are made with a full floating canvas chest piece..."

Is this what you mean? Or do you interpret this as something else?

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by osc
Just checked the website and it does say the following:
"All suits are made with a full floating canvas chest piece..."

Is this what you mean? Or do you interpret this as something else?

Yes. Floating canvas chest piece is simply the chest piece and nothing more. Other threads here indicate that most if not all suits have one.

The question is whether the canvas extends throughout the front of the suit. Ask them when you go in for a fitting whether the suit has any fusing or whether it is full canvas construction. If it is full canvas they should update their website to be more precise.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by UserNameToronto
Were you on the King East streetcar yesterday around 6? I noticed a guy carrying a Speturazza bag.

Not I - Although, I would've loved to be that person with a new suit in hand
bigstar[1].gif

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
Yes. Floating canvas chest piece is simply the chest piece and nothing more. Other threads here indicate that most if not all suits have one.

The question is whether the canvas extends throughout the front of the suit. Ask them when you go in for a fitting whether the suit has any fusing or whether it is full canvas construction. If it is full canvas they should update their website to be more precise.

Will do - I'll ask again.

Midnight Blue

Reaction score
So I think my plan is to setup some time the guys at Trend as well as at Fifth on King, and just talk through what I'm looking for.

I'd love to hear about your experience with Trend. I dropped in on them yesterday and the experience was quite . . . ahem . . . interesting. The owner (Don Lee) is not only a tailor but also quite a creative individual that is as interested in art as he is in men's clothes. I was impressed by the fact that all the work is done on premises and bespoke suits cost an average of $1,100 - $1,300. I was a little freaked out by the bizarre glass art stuck all over the walls of his house/shop which, by the way, is deliberately unmarked (no signage at all). You will need to call for an appointment if you want to see him.

Unfortunately my budget only allows for MTM at this point so I ended up buying from another tailor. However, I may give him a try in a few years when I have the money (and the tolerance to deal with his eccentricity).

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
I'd love to hear about your experience with Trend. I dropped in on them yesterday and the experience was quite . . . ahem . . . interesting. The owner (Don Lee) is not only a tailor but also quite a creative individual that is as interested in art as he is in men's clothes. I was impressed by the fact that all the work is done on premises and bespoke suits cost an average of $1,100 - $1,300. I was a little freaked out by the bizarre glass art stuck all over the walls of his house/shop which, by the way, is deliberately unmarked (no signage at all). You will need to call for an appointment if you want to see him.

Unfortunately my budget only allows for MTM at this point so I ended up buying from another tailor. However, I may give him a try in a few years when I have the money (and the tolerance to deal with his eccentricity).

Seems like several people have had "interesting" experiences at Trend recently. I may have to check it out and see what all the fuss is about...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads