• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First MTM jacket doesn't fit?

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
I just picked up my first MTM jacket, and I'm afraid it doesn't fit well enough. Then again, I'm a total neophyte, so I don't know what I'm talking about and I'd rather let you be the judges.

Thanks! And please do not try to be polite. I need the truth here.

(More photos to come.)

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
By the way, this is Greenfield MTM from BB. Measurements were taken by the in-house tailor and not by Mr. Greenfield himself.

literasyme

Reaction score
^ Really? It certainly fits very awkwardly, but it seems to be pulling (on his left) and bunching up (on his right) at the same time. The quarters look particularly bad, but that's a balance issue, right? I don't exactly feel qualified to disagree with you, but it strikes me that the problems here are more intricate than that, and more complex...

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
it is a size too large!

Really ? It looks like it is pulling at the waist but the shoulders are not drastically falling off as you would expect in a size too large.

I guessed it was BB from the buttons. I am also not qualified to tell you what is exactly wrong, I didn't think it looked awful on you, but in the movement pics there is alot of odd looking pulls.

BB is suppose to stand by their work, if you don't like it I think you should bring it back after you understand what to change.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
Really ? It looks like it is pulling at the waist but the shoulders are not drastically falling off as you would expect in a size too large.

I guessed it was BB from the buttons. I am also not qualified to tell you what is exactly wrong, I didn't think it looked awful on you, but in the movement pics there is alot of odd looking pulls.

BB is suppose to stand by their work, if you don't like it I think you should bring it back after you understand what to change.

+1

Absolutely-bring it back, tell them it's unsatsifactory and you want it fixed. The last thing they want is you bad mouthing them to your peers or worse, complaining on the major men's clothing board that is probably monitored by BB HQ.

Let us know what happens and if you need help, am sure there are a number of folks that can help you get this right.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One question: is it possible that a jacket with 3 buttons will fit better?

IMO:

- body too long
- too much fabric on the reverse of the sleeves
- plunging neckline

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxnharry
Absolutely-bring it back, tell them it's unsatsifactory and you want it fixed.
Thanks for all the replies so far, and you bring up another issue. At what point is it okay for a customer to simply reject an MTM garment? I mean, it's understood prior to purchase that the first one won't be perfect. How bad does it have to be before the customer can legitimately put his foot down and just say no?

I showed the jacket to my (experienced) alterations tailor. His English isn't great, so I may have missed something, but he thought (a) the chest was too wide and (b) the fabric was being pulled at the button, so there seems to be some agreement here, even in three dimensions. He also opined--and again, there may be a language problem, but I did my best--that perhaps the pattern itself wasn't good for me, and that even getting the measurements exactly right wasn't going to make the jacket a really great fit. This is scary. As a result of reading this board and AAAC, I would like to dress better, which includes wearing tailored clothing. (!) But man...if it has to be bespoke...I dunno. I guess I didn't fully consider the possibility of having to pay that much. Maybe I'm overreacting, though.

Loose On The Lead

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
One question: is it possible that a jacket with 3 buttons will fit better?
Yes. I went for two buttons because both my salesperson and my wife agreed that it looked better on me when I bought a Greenfield suit...and that's the whole argument for 2B. It isn't a terribly strong one. Unfortunately, due to visual impairment, I can't really see the look for myself very well. I can learn to feel for fit, and I can now proudly say that I can detect canvassing in many cases, at least. :) But judging 2B vs. 3B...I'm forced to depend on others.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Err, I think it's obviously too wide in the shoulders, that's why their drooping and falling off your actual shoulders.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
It looks like a baggy, second-rate cardigan. I think you'd benefit from a more structured look. The sleeves seem to be on the short side, the shoulders are too soft and the body too long. I believe the main problem is that, to my eye, the style of the jacket doesn't look good on you, especially with the rest of the look you've got going for. The quarters are too closed and it looks even more silly open. Bring the jacket to the person who sold it to you and complain...

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
Err, I think it's obviously too wide in the shoulders, that's why their drooping and falling off your actual shoulders.

In which pic ? In the last one the jacket is unbuttoned , but I think his shoulders are that shape.

Don't let your alterations tailor touch it, because they will then say he may of changed it. Personally, I think you should politely and calmly take the jacket back and give them 2 attempts to fix it. If it is not better at those 2 tries then you should return it.

I think the harder issue will be that with your visual impairment how you will know when it is right.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't figure out what exactly is wrong with the jacket having been perplexed by it for 20 mins. I did notice that in the http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...8&d=1217706970 picture you are standing perfectly and you are still getting ripples on the side, that makes no sense.

Also the 2 button style is not the culprit , it may be the rather dull roll of the lapel and I have seen this in a GF suit I have and one of their sportcoats, it is a really weird roll in the first button. Also the size of the lapels seems off to the ratio of your chest.

The best 2 people to diagnose this would be Mr. Despos or A Tailor.

ozonemania

Reaction score
To me it looks like they didn't account for the slope of your shoulders. In most of the pics you posted, it's either the lighting or you, but it looks as if the shoulders are hanging over even though they aren't. If you imagine the jacket worn on another version of you with much less sloped shoulders, the odd bunching and draping of the jacket would go away, and the length would prob seem more appropriate. Perhaps you need some stronger contouring in your shoulder shape.

It's also entirely possible like your tailor said, there's too much fabric in this jacket. I'm not talking about waist supression, but the chest and quarters seem a bit full and weigh the jacket down.

I agree the jacket length is too long. Although it's hard to tell without a full body shot in a neutral camera angle.

I hope you get some more responses esp with the more learned ones. Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads