• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First MTM experience - Thoughts on the fit?

SFA

Reaction score
So this is my first MTM experience. The suit is Samuelsohn (Gable model) from a local men's store in Toronto. I'm not very pleased on how it turned out, especially the pants. as I think they are hemmed too short, even though I went back to them last week and asked for no break, but I didn't realize this would make the pants actually short. The hem is cut at a fairly aggressive angle, so I don't know if that even throws off the pants more.

I think part of my problem is the first time the suit came back, the pants were very billowy and baggy, and we agreed to taper them down. I believe they were tapered too much, even though I again asked for a slimmer fit. This tapper along with the pooling at the bottom led me to ask them to request for no break.

Do you guys think the pants are cut too short? To me, they are just havoring ontop of my shoes. I appologize for the quality of pics, as all I have access to is my blackberry, but I can try to get better quality pics through a camera if needed.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to really tell based on the lighting, but those look just about right to me... Looks like a mid break in front and none in back, which is certainly in the realm of acceptable.

Quite a few people on this board would go even shorter with them...

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't look too short to me.

mingus2112

Reaction score
they don't look too short at all. In fact, I'd say that the tailor was conservative with "no break." I would have expected them to be shorter. I think you did great with the pants!

-J

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now the sleeves on the jacket look too long!!! I don't see any cuff! No bueno.

gambit50

Reaction score
I think you got no break. That is how it is, pretty much. For no break trousers, I like yours better than most others. Some/many might go shorter but I think it looks.....not good. Right to the edge is good, hovering with space makes you look like you have outgrown your pants.
Could it be lengthened 1/8-1/4" and still be breakless, maybe. But I think this aspect looks good.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the smaller the size of the bottom the higher up on the instep the inseam finishes at.
simple physics.

SFA

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.. You're right, to me, the suit sleeve is a little too long, but at this point, I feel embrassed emailing my sales guy asking him if I can drop by about shortening the sleeve about 1/4 of an inch. Even though I spent a good amount on this MTM, I think I've taken some learning points going forward when it comes time to comission for another M2M. Although, the choices here in Toronto leaves a lot to be desired for.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't think you should feel bad about asking for a good fit, that's kind of the whole idea of MTM. And they really should be able to nail simple things like sleeve length, that's why there's a guy there with a tape measure in the first place. So go back and ask them to fix the sleeves and you'll be set

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the replies guys.. You're right, to me, the suit sleeve is a little too long, but at this point, I feel embrassed emailing my sales guy asking him if I can drop by about shortening the sleeve about 1/4 of an inch. Even though I spent a good amount on this MTM, I think I've taken some learning points going forward when it comes time to comission for another M2M. Although, the choices here in Toronto leaves a lot to be desired for.

Which store in Toronto did you get this MTM from?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't feel embarassed; if you don't like the fit, return the suit. They either:

1) Didn't take your measurements properly at the initial stage; or

2) Samuelsohn screwed up during the manufacturing stage.

Your options include getting a refund, altering the suit even more, or ask for a new suit if your current one can't be properly altered.

Where did you commission it from?

Firefox

Reaction score
I would tend to agree. Since they charge extra for MTM, I don't think that customers should feel too bad about holding the retailer to a higher standard when it comes to the final fit (as long as you are being reasonable). And expecting the pant and sleeve length to be acceptable is a pretty reasonable request, IMO. In fact, for something as simple as pants length, I would apply the same expectation to OTR alterations.

duggyald

Reaction score
If you're not comfortable with it just return it, and in case it still wont fit after alteration, request for a refund instead.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pants length is spot on - where else would you want them to finish if you asked for no break? You even have a slight break...

However, I agree you should return it if you're unhappy with anything else.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pants length seem fine. However, if you wanted to get the opening to sit lower, you would need to increase the width of your leg opening (adding length would make the break excessive).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads