Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

First knit tie with flat bottom...suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quadcammer, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Howdy all,
    in my question to branch out, I'm going to give a knit tie with the flat bottom a try.

I'm having trouble choosing a color though. I'd like something versatile that works with my sportcoats, which range from sold navy, to light grey flannel, to brown tweed and herringbone.

I really like this cream, but I'm not sure how versatile it is:

http://www.thetiebar.com/tie-bar-pr...asp&pg=0&categoryIds=31,62,20&optionValueIds=

Since I'm not sure how much I'm gonna like this, I'm sticking with thetiebar.com, so please make a recommendation from these choices:

http://www.thetiebar.com/categoryPages/All_Ties.asp?pg=0&categoryIds=31,62,20&optionValueIds=

thanks all

2. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Brown, navy, burgundy are all versatile choices for a knit tie.

3. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Maybe it's just a phase I'm going through - but I think chocolate colored ties work with almost everything.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Green is a good colour too.

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

With fall coming up - burgundy, rust, deep purple, deep green.

Dont ry to get one color that will go with everything. Get a color that will make one or two jackets look their very best.

6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I suggest you check out my Tumblr for ideas :D

7. TGOL

TGOL Active Member

I have burgundy and dark green, which are great with gray or brown tweed, and a light blue which is nice with a navy blazer or something in gray. I want a chocolate brown to go with my olive tweed, and a black one to go to with a gray check SC I have.

I don't think I'd do a cream one, because I like using my knit ties as foils to patterned shirts, and that wouldn't work with cream.

8. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

The single most versatile colour is, arguably, light navy. Sand/beige is also quite versatile.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Not to hijack this thread, but what material (wool, cashmere, silk knit) is the most versatile for pairing with sport coats? I have a cashmere gray herringbone and a brown sport coat in the pattern below that I am looking to start wearing with ties. My normal silk ties are too city for the jackets and I'm not a big fan of the square knit ties. Wool? Cashmere? Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

10. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

I know you don't want to shell out in case you wind up not liking them, but you may be better served nabbing one from the B&S forum in order to form an opinion. Unless Tiebar's quality has gone up in the past couple of years, theirs are the shiniest, most limp, and non-crunchy knits I own. As a result, I've never found an occasion to wear them, and this is from someone that wears knits with some frequency.

11. js4design

js4design Senior member

I disagree. If you're looking for the stiff, loose weave, then Tiebar is not for you. But I've purchased a few of them and they are very similar to my BB knits from a few years ago. They come in a 2 3/4" width which is harder to find these days and they have a denser weave which I prefer when I wear them with a suit. They also have a great selection of colors.

12. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

I ordered from tiebar and I found their knits to be absolute garbage. Tie bar top -- RLP middle -- Wang bottom. For a dense weave, I think KW is the move.
    [​IMG]
    Polo has the best knits if you buy on deal. Look at the texture vs the wang (which is good)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

13. HughJ

HughJ Senior member

Perhaps things have improved, but the two I have look like a polyester sock, as pictured in Frankie's post above.

14. js4design

js4design Senior member

I've got the blue/brown knit from Kent Wang and while I like it, the weave is looser and tends to be harder to get a good knot.

15. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I'd go with navy as the first one and then burgundy as a 2nd tie later.