• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Jeans: Nudie or RB?

Anders

Reaction score
First post and first jeans.

I've been looking for my first pair of quality jeans and I stumbled on this forum. I've been reading for a few days and you guys got me hooked so I went to my local denim shop. I tried on like 10 pairs and with the help of the saleswomen I narrowed it down to the Nudie Regular Ralfs ($175) and the RB6.s ($275). How would you guys compare the two (since I'm new to denim)? In addition, how do these prices compare to those online or on sale?

I know this is a newbie question but thanks for the input. I have a feeling I'll be checking this site multiple times a day and buying way too many jeans.

-A

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nudies, just cuz they are cheaper, fit really well, and if you decide raw denim is not for you, you won't be out 265 dollars, just 175.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Nudies are going to fade pretty well. In 6 months you'll see some nice whiskers and honeycombs forming. R&Bs won't give the same amount of fading. If you want them to stay dark longer, R&Bs will give you that.

Anders

Reaction score
Brian SD: The RRDS that you have posted in the pics thread are my favorite jeans I have seen so far. Any tips on how to wear them in "perfectly" like you have?

Also, the RR's that they have at the shop are the grey cast. I know that LA Guy prefers the grey casts, while Brian SD prefers the RRDS. How do the two compare? I've searched styleforum and superfuture but can't find pics of the grey casts. I've only read that some people think the grey casts wear faster.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The greycast denim is a lighter color to begin with, while the RRDS is a deeper, darker blue. The RRDS denim shows wear more quickly, and the fade areas are a purty true blue. The greycasts have an, er, grey/green tint, and the fade doesn't have the brilliant contrast of the RRDS.

RRDS are also selvage, and significantly more expensive. I've tried on the RRDS, and own a pair of the greycasts--I have not had any durability issues with them, but I'm not in love with them either (though I like the cut). The greycasts fit a little more closely (about true to size IME, while RRDS run just a tad big in the waist). I think both are fine choices for first pair of dry jeans, but the RRDS might offer a better "dry jean experience." Blech.

I'm wearing my RRDG in the pic here, but that doesn't show off the color that well, and definitely doesn't show wear.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anders
Also, the RR's that they have at the shop are the grey cast. I know that LA Guy prefers the grey casts, while Brian SD prefers the RRDS. How do the two compare? I've searched styleforum and superfuture but can't find pics of the grey casts. I've only read that some people think the grey casts wear faster.

I think LA Guy probably prefers the RRDS to the RRDG, too, but Brian doesn't like the Greycasts at all.
smile.gif
Hewsinator posted pics of his very very worn-in RRDG: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=815

That's after a whole lot of wear, but that's a pretty good representation of the colors and type of contrast you eventually get with the RRDG.

As for how to wear them in, just wear 'em everywhere. Except the shower. Unless you really want to, I guess.

Anders

Reaction score
After looking at the link with the RRDG I think I like the RRDS better. I really like the contrast and I'm kinda over the brownish color after being worn in. Now I have to decide if I want the RRDS ($265) or the RG6.s ($275). Or should I try to find them online for cheaper (suggestions)?

To me it seems that the RRDS are true raw while the RG are like a once wash and a lot softer off the rack. Also the RRDS are have the contrast stiching and pocket stiching for a more "urban" look while the RG6.s are a little more dressy and understated.

Comments?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Nudies Fit?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anders
After looking at the link with the RRDG I think I like the RRDS better. I really like the contrast and I'm kinda over the brownish color after being worn in. Now I have to decide if I want the RRDS ($265) or the RG6.s ($275). Or should I try to find them online for cheaper (suggestions)?

To me it seems that the RRDS are true raw while the RG are like a once wash and a lot softer off the rack. Also the RRDS are have the contrast stiching and pocket stiching for a more "urban" look while the RG6.s are a little more dressy and understated.

Comments?

Not sure if they are the Selvage, but the RB6 can be found on Active Endeavors, which the "Styleforum" coupon gives 20% off.

Yeah, Nudies are more "street" than Rag & Bones, which are a little more urbane.

Anders

Reaction score
I think I can do both street and urban. I just graduated from college (street) but also just moved to San Francisco (urban).

I would get them off AE but they don't have size 30. I wonder if they will get new ones any time soon...

tays

Reaction score
Hey Anders, you're getting quality from both the Nudie RRDS and the RB6. If you're in San Francisco, you might want to check out Villains Vault in the Haight, they're having a sale on Rag and Bones. As for Nudies online, check out Revolve Clothing (30% off for first time buyers with code) or Active Endeavors (they have a few selvage R&Bs right now you can get for 20% off with the SF coupon code). Point is, you don't have to pay $300 to get some quality jeans. Cheers!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads