• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Jantzen shirt, self-measured; please critique

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
frontxx8.jpg
backfi6.jpg
side1no4.jpg
side2zc4.jpg

Ironed, but not washed. I requested (and got) the 3/4" back darts (the one on the left is not higher, it's just ironed poorly) and high armholes. The cuffs are not quite so fitted as I'd like; the buttonhole is too close to the end of the cuff for my taste. Fabric is a white "superfine" cotton; I don't have the number handy. It's soft (so far), medium thickness, slightly shiny. Wrinkles as you can see in the pictures.

The shoulders/collar placement need to be adjusted for posture, but overall I am happy with the fit. And, yes, I know the collar is horrible.

Any suggestions for the next order would be greatly appreciated. I'll post more details later.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
For a first Jantzen effort, I think it's pretty good. In addition to the changes you listed, I would ask them to take the waist in, with the reduction being across the back.

You maybe could take the shoulders in just a little bit, depending on how they feel to you.

Sleeve length looks ok in those pics, but you'll want to be sure you're also ok with it when you extend your arms.

starcrash

Reaction score
Why go through all the trouble of doing a photo shoot, posting pics, and asking for us to nit-pick fine details on the fit when you haven't even washed it yet? Cotton will shrink.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arms look good. Bring in the shoulders .5 to 1 inch. Bring in the waist a good bit. That collar seems disproportionally large, try smaller measurements.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by starcrash
Why go through all the trouble of doing a photo shoot, posting pics, and asking for us to nit-pick fine details on the fit when you haven't even washed it yet? Cotton will shrink.

Yes, see how it looks after at least two washes.

(why do people always order white shirts when getting internet MTM. Boring!)

jc138

Reaction score
Looks good. Don't get carried away until you've washed it a couple times, but if it still looks like that:

Bring in the shoulders a touch.

The waist looks ok to me. If you take it in I'd only do it by an inch or two (but then again I have a gut to hide!).

What fabric is this?

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The collar is a "long" spread. It looks goofy without a tie, but I actually like the look when it's under a coat. I got the "soft" interlining and I'll wear it without the stays.
collarka7.jpg
I got it longer so it would stay under the lapels, maybe too long and not spread enough, but it is what it is. I washed it in warm water and went through the tedium of hand-ironing it. If it's shrunk, it's not appreciable. Nothing you could see in a picture, anyway. The order info (including the fabric) is on my other computer; I'll post it later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads