• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First it was Flusser and short sleeve dress shirts

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I can honestly say that is the best looking four-button jacket I have ever seen.

cuffthis

Reaction score
I can honestly say that is the best looking four-button jacket I have ever seen.
But would you wear it?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
No.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Um, that jacket is meant to be worn primarily as "farmer" outerwear, not a "sportscoat" in the sense you guys are talking about.  Check out the material (100% Alpaca is pretty warm,) the size of the herringbone patternm, and the flap on the chest pocket.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fifth button hidden under the lapel.

Edit: typos.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLPL did put out a 4 button black cashmere sport jacket that I have seen. They do exist. A couple of years ago, he also did those positively horrid 8 button double breasted suits. I love Ralph Lauren, but everyone makes mistakes.

lisapop

Reaction score
But would you wear it?

Maybe a waiter at a formal restaurant in Antarctica.
Grayson

Phil

Reaction score
4 button jackets have a long history with hunting apparel, and the majority of Norfolk coats made in the first half of the 20th century were producted this exact way. Unfortunately, no one can look at a 4 button coat and NOT think of the NBA draft or snoop dogg these days.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's wrong with 4 button jackets? All my jackets are 4 button jackets... Oh, wait, you meant the front buttons.
tounge.gif
Jon.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen this model, it actually looks like a rolled 3 button. I have no idea why there would be 4 buttons.

jmswentworth

Reaction score
= for farmer, need we say any more

ernest, get in here quick, we need the farmer mods...

WJTW

Reaction score
Although I do like four-buttoned suit jackets, it does not seem to look alright for sportscoat. Besides, the stance is a bit too low. I would prefer a higher stance because the buttons spaced further apart...
Actually, I think I like four-buttoned jackets not only because of the number of buttons but for the stance. I would prefer three-buttoned jackets with a higher-than-'usual' stance, whatever that means...
Perhaps I like high stances because of the longer front?

Hmm... it seems some military uniforms, as well as uniforms for other occupations like pilots, have four buttons, although their buttons are usually gold or silver.

WJTW

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads