• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Interview Suit

paganoglenn

Reaction score
I have been looking around the style forum for a little while now. I am looking to purchase my first interview suit and update my entire wardrobe (mostly streetwear). Despite what everyone says, I really want a black suit. I have been specifically looking at this suit by Burberry http://us.burberry.com/slim-fit-virgin-wool-suit-p39322071. What do you think of this one? Do you suggest going to Nordstrom, Neiman, Saks or Barneys for a personal stylist to get a suit and update my wardrobe? Thank you.

gsugsu

Reaction score
If you still want a black suit despite what you've read here. Get it. At least make an effort to be fitted in person.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The type of jobs you're interviewing for should determine what kind of suit you get. If you're going after nightclub, restaurant, retail or some design/advertising jobs, then the suit you linked to would work great. It can also be worn if you're going out to a club or it can be broken up and worn as separates. It would probably go better with your streetwear stuff. If you're applying for jobs that are more business related, I would highly recommend going with a suit that is not black and that is not that slim. If you're trying to update your wardrobe to classic menswear, that suit is not the way to go at all. I won't go into this anymore because it sounds like you've heard this before. You should definitely get help in person. Good luck.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why do you really want a black suit? Why not dark navy or dark charcoal? Both look far better in daylight.

paganoglenn

Reaction score
I think black suits look the best. I live far from any good stores, about 2 hours. My best bet would probably be to go to a store and try on different suits.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think black suits look the best. I live far from any good stores, about 2 hours. My best bet would probably be to go to a store and try on different suits.
Sounds like you know what you want and how to do it so make it happen. Enjoy.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF00AA]I think black suits look the best.[/COLOR] I live far from any good stores, about 2 hours. My best bet would probably be to go to a store and try on different suits.  

They don't.

:teach:

mianmannoi

Reaction score

I think black suits look the best. 

The question isn't what you think looks the best. Its what you're interviewers think looks good -- more specifically, it's what makes you look to your interviewer like the kind of guy they want to hire. Given that you are, I think, a kid right out of college the one thing you can be pretty sure of is that your interviewers won't have the same tastes you do. It's your choice if self expression is too important a value to give up even for a couple of hours to try to get a job. But don't go in thinking that if you think you look good so will everyone else.

Personally, I think that suit looks remarkably silly -- like a spoof of itself. The model looks like he's wearing his big sister's leggings and his kid brother's suit jacket. If I were your interviewer I would suspect that you're a fashion lemming, chasing the crowd right over the cliff. I would be a little more forgiving because you're so young but still I'd wonder what it says about you that looking like your friends in their fashionable pee-wee herman get-up is more important to you than looking like a professional in a job interview. Another interviewer might like the suit (hard for me to imagine, but I know it's possible).

Fair? Maybe or maybe not, but interviewers have to go based on whatever clues they have in a short interaction.

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If this is your first interview suit, your opinion is in its infancy, and you will almost certainly regret your decision down the road, unless of course your taste never improves.

That Burberry suit is hideous, IMO.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
suit's fine, ok maybe a little too fashiony but if you're set on it, at least get it in navy instead

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
business and black suits have nothing in common. if it's a job worth having, wear navy or gray. end of story.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Acute Style handled this very well. Everyone else is wasting their time. Wait... why did he even start this thread?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads