• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First "Good Shoe" purchase, how'd I do?

JRB

Reaction score
I set my mind on a pair of Allen Edmonds a little while ago, unfortunately there's no place local that sells them, or at least firsts. I found a place after some sleuth work that sells factory seconds not to far out-of-the-way. I went down yesterday hoping to find a McAllister or Strand in chestnut, but mainly to get a proper feel for what size I'd need to order online. No luck on the lines, but they did have a Lexington in the chestnut, and for all I can tell it's really similar to the Strand. I can't find it on the AE site and nothing really in Google is helping out.

Anyway, while I was trying out the AE I spotted a pair of Mezlan's that I really like the look of. It was also a second, and with not much hassle the salesman said if I got both he'd give 10% off both.

So I walked away with pair of the AE Lexingtons and Mezlan Lancer for about $330. How'd I do? And can anyone tell me about the Lexingtons?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
sounds like a decent deal to me. especially if YOU like them. Pretty hard to go wrong with AEs.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty good deal.

As far as I can remember, the Lexington is similar to the Sanford - blucher cap toe. But I believe the Lexington has a double oak sole.

I believe the Lexington is on the 1 last vs the 7 last on the Sanford.

Chris

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Lexington was one of my first "good shoe" purchases. I rarely wear them now. They're a little too bulbous for my taste. I'd prefer they be a lot sleeker OR a lot clunkier. Instead, they occupy a middle ground that doesn't work with slimmer trousers.

JRB

Reaction score
That was my first impression with them as well, being a little on the clunky side. I would've preferred something more sleek. The sole is definitely more thick than I would've preferred, but I think they'll be very versatile as well.

As I told my wife, I probably would've walked away from them if he had not offered the Mezlans in on the deal. I kept saying in my head, "I can get 2 shoes now for the price I will pay for 1 online." Which is ultimately why I went with it.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a well-made shoe, and if you regret the purchase, it will be because they were the gayeway pair that sent you into a spiral of high-end shoe buying.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You did OK. Neither would be my first choice, and $330 is still a lot of $$. The Lexington is fine, the Mezlan is Meh.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
sounds like a decent deal to me. especially if YOU like them. Pretty hard to go wrong with AEs.

Originally Posted by bkstone
Agreed
5086.gif

Ahhh, I miss Vox.

cronicmole

Reaction score
For 330 dollars.. I have no doubt after browsing the B&S for a while..waiting. I would have walked away with C&J's at least in good condition.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 pairs is good deal. Sure you might be able to get a pair of C&Js for same money, but can only buy 1 pair and 1 pair every day of the week will kill them and that in turn make you sad.
frown.gif

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JRB
I set my mind on a pair of Allen Edmonds a little while ago, unfortunately there's no place local that sells them, or at least firsts. I found a place after some sleuth work that sells factory seconds not to far out-of-the-way. I went down yesterday hoping to find a McAllister or Strand in chestnut, but mainly to get a proper feel for what size I'd need to order online. No luck on the lines, but they did have a Lexington in the chestnut, and for all I can tell it's really similar to the Strand. I can't find it on the AE site and nothing really in Google is helping out.

Anyway, while I was trying out the AE I spotted a pair of Mezlan's that I really like the look of. It was also a second, and with not much hassle the salesman said if I got both he'd give 10% off both.

So I walked away with pair of the AE Lexingtons and Mezlan Lancer for about $330. How'd I do? And can anyone tell me about the Lexingtons?

I saw pics of both shoes.
uhoh.gif
Let me know your size and I'll see if I can dig up some good deals for you.

Acer

Reaction score
I've been leaning toward a pair of AE's for my first "real" shoe purchase as well. I picked up a pair of Florsheim Dreydens for $60 at a bargain bin store, but I'm not counting those.

JRB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
I saw pics of both shoes.
uhoh.gif
Let me know your size and I'll see if I can dig up some good deals for you.

I got the AE's in 8.5D. My left foot is a bit tight, but hoping that will stretch out. The Mezlans I got in a 9 and they feel a tad on loose side. So I'm right inbetween a 8.5 and 9? On that note, will this tightness go away? I know they'll stretch, and they did stretch it a bit at the store, but how much will it give? Like I said, the right foot feel really good, the left is a little painful right across the toes. Otherwise, do I need to go up to a 9?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads