• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

First few pairs of shoes

nycguy

Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
What would you suggest be a good starter set of shoes to rotate through in my first professional wardrobe? I was thinking:

1) black cap-toed oxford such as the AE Park Avenues
2) a dark brown, though I'm hesitant to purchase another cap-toed --a little help?
 

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
5,664
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by nycguy
What would you suggest be a good starter set of shoes to rotate through in my first professional wardrobe? I was thinking:

1) black cap-toed oxford such as the AE Park Avenues
2) a dark brown, though I'm hesitant to purchase another cap-toed --a little help?


Do it. Wear them out while you work your way up. Then buy shoes you love.
 

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Messages
6,555
Reaction score
134
good idea.

1) black oxford (park avenue, byron, etc)

2) brown derby (I would do a plaintoe like the leeds, or split toe like the bradley or delray or moc toe like the burton. You could even do a wingtip if you wish).
 

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
16,118
Reaction score
1,113
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
good idea.

1) black oxford (park avenue, byron, etc)

2) brown derby (I would do a plaintoe like the leeds, or split toe like the bradley or delray or moc toe like the burton. You could even do a wingtip if you wish).


Perfect suggestion. The two basic building blocks.
 

jml90

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
1,595
Reaction score
1
Brown Semi-Brouges
Or brown moc toe
 

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2002
Messages
1,790
Reaction score
147
you know those are tux shoes, right?

[refers to since-removed spam - j.]
 

nycguy

Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
sorry for my ignorance, but what is a semi-brogue and brogue?
 

nycguy

Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
sorry for my ignorance, but what is a semi-brogue and brogue?
 

jml90

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
1,595
Reaction score
1
Semi brouge cap toe with medallion and perfing
Brouge wigtip
 

nycguy

Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
what do you guys think about these (AE Bentons) instead of the Park Avenues? I found them for $82 at Saks Outlet (much better than shelling out $250), but I also want versatile shoes. Any opinions appreciated!
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,883
Reaction score
49
Originally Posted by nycguy
what do you guys think about these (AE Bentons) instead of the Park Avenues? I found them for $82 at Saks Outlet (much better than shelling out $250), but I also want versatile shoes. Any opinions appreciated!

The Bentons don't have quite the elegance of the Park Avenues, but you're young and just starting out. I'd keep 'em. At that price they'd be hard to pass up and will serve you well enough. Maybe with the savings you can make your "brown" shoes shell cordovans.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,194
Messages
9,229,790
Members
193,755
Latest member
Bruneyk
Top