Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

First ever post. Need advice buying Shirts Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by anonymousmoose, Nov 25, 2007.

1. anonymousmoose

anonymousmoose New Member

Hello,

Its my honeymoon and we are off to Hong Kong. I thought I'd use the trip to buy some business & formal shirts. I love cuff links so I want french cuffs.

Now I'm a skinny guy and all the shirts I buy local in Australia are either too wide or the arms are too short.

I want to find a tailor who is reasonably priced and can keep my measurenments on record so I can order from overseas as I need to.

I am fearfully of getting ripped off (e.g. cheap fabric) so I really really need help.

Please help me out all with tailor recommendations?, I'm getting married in 6 days [​IMG]

2. Golf_Nerd

Golf_Nerd Senior member

Hello,

Its my honeymoon and we are off to Hong Kong. I thought I'd use the trip to buy some business & formal shirts. I love cuff links so I want french cuffs.

Now I'm a skinny guy and all the shirts I buy local in Australia are either too wide or the arms are too short.

I want to find a tailor who is reasonably priced and can keep my measurenments on record so I can order from overseas as I need to.

I am fearfully of getting ripped off (e.g. cheap fabric) so I really really need help.

Please help me out all with tailor recommendations?, I'm getting married in 6 days [​IMG]

http://www.styleforum.net/search.php

3. anonymousmoose

Dont know why this links to search. Sorry I am not usually a post on forums. I was hoping someone will be helpful please... take pitty on the groom [​IMG]

4. tbone226

tbone226 Senior member

Give Ascot Chang a shot.

5. bobbers

bobbers Senior member

Jantzen Tailor is a popular choice on this forum. When I was in Hong Kong earlier this year, they were able to turnaround my shirts in 24 hours. Cost was about HKD320 if I recall or a little more than US$40. I think it's a great value at that price. You can go to their website for options on collars, cuffs, fabrics, buttons, etc. so you have an idea what you want when you go to their shop.

But as far as placing orders from overseas, they are very unreliable. Some people on this forum are very lucky and get turnaround in four to six weeks while many others never hear back on their orders.

6. Stereojeff

Stereojeff Well-Known Member

I will second the Jantzen "in-person" recommendation. The prices are lower and the fabric selection is greater. Plus, Ricky gave me good advise on fabric selection/quality.

Jantzen Tailor
    Room 202 and 204, 2nd Floor
    United Chinese Bank Building
    31-37 Des Voeux Road Central
    Hong Kong

Telephone is (852) 2570-5901
    www.jantzentailor.com

Jeff

7. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

depend on what quality you are looking for.
    If you want high end stuff, and reliable overseas order, Ascot Chang will not let you down. Actually, AC do have something cheap, but you have to ask, and tell them you want something ordinary. They do have some custom made shirt in HK$500 level.

8. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

I wanna give Jantzen a shot when I go back to Hong Kong for winter break.

I was just wondering, do they do in-store measurements? Do you have have to provide your own measurements?

9. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I wanna give Jantzen a shot when I go back to Hong Kong for winter break.

I was just wondering, do they do in-store measurements? Do you have have to provide your own measurements?

Ricky or his brother will measure you. But make sure you tell him what you want regarding the fit, the sleeve length, etc....

10. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

How would any custom clothing operation stay in business if it did not do in-store measurements?

11. anonymousmoose

Thanks for the tips so far! Great! I will check this out.

Has anyone else had positive experiances ordering from overseas with anyone after leaveing measurments with them?

12. tanalasta

tanalasta Well-Known Member

I'd recommend WWChan in HK as well.

I find that their shirtings are quite satisfactory at the price-range. The construction, fabric (Acorn or Thomas Mason 100's cotton) and MOP buttons are all more than reasonable for a US$100 shirt.

A pain to iron but that's about it! Make sure you tell them exactly what you want though (e.g. removable collar stays)