• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Double Breasted Suit, Need Help

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite bowtielover's obsession with what is in fashion, DBs never went out of style, and are more prevalent than they have been in years. I'm a lawyer and I wear them and see more and more other lawyers doing so as well.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
DB is usualy a boxier fit and not very figure flattering and is appropiate for a lawyer, if your a lawyer of the 80's or 90's. DB suit just arent in style these days, for your size it would work out but your better off with a two or three button SB.

You need to check out the WAYWRN thread. A properly fitting DB is not boxy and has a beautiful taper.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
1) DB is wholly appropriate for a lawyer, right? If it matters, I will be working on the transactional side of things.

that is fine

2) I wear a 50XL, a DB will still work for someone who is 6'8" and 265lbs, correct?

well, it will make you very standoutish. a db suit is a very commandeering look on some individuals. i am a muted average joe in a crowd so it helps for me to wear a db suit. not for you if you are 6'8, just go for a regular sb suit.

3) Should a DB fit closer to the body than a SB?

no, just the same.

4) I own a navy suit but not a gray flannel. Would one still suggest I go with the classic navy for the first suit?

go for the grey flannel if you have to get a db. that would be nice.
a nice donegal flannel would be exquisite

5) Single or Double Vent?

double vent always
6) Number of buttons?

go for the standard 6 button. button at the 2nd button (6x2).

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
You need to check out the WAYWRN thread. A properly fitting DB is not boxy and has a beautiful taper.

Yes it can be well fitted, but that dosen't change the fact that it's a dated style.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite the contrary, it's as in fashion as ever. And it's hardly a dated style. I'd actually call it timeless myself.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes it can be well fitted, but that dosen't change the fact that it's a dated style.
That shtick, from a 'bowtielover'?

Priceless.
crackup[1].gif

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kuwisdelu
You, good sir, are insane.

Either that, or you've only seen terrible double-breasteds.

I think he has a time machine, too, as he's dealing with lawyers in the '80s and '90s still.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is completely incorrect. Upon what basis do you assert this argument?

elgreco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
This is completely incorrect. Upon what basis do you assert this argument?

Bahahaha, is it primary or secondary authority?

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DB suit pants: cuffed or not? Or is it dependent on inseam? I'm a 29/30, but 5'11".

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Double-breasted suits and pocket squares are controversial subjects dividingthe Style forum in clans...

The anti are legion but we still a quite strong revivalist movement on SF..

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a lawyer friend who is also 6'8" and probably heavier (he's 50), and everyone notices him when he walks in the room no matter what he wears. He goes with the most conservative two button navy and charcoal suits (from Jack Victor MTM) just to fit in a little more. A double breasted suit is going to be a lot of fabric on such a large form so if you do go that way choose patterns very wisely or not at all.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DB is usualy a boxier fit and not very figure flattering and is appropiate for a lawyer, if your a lawyer of the 80's or 90's. DB suit just arent in style these days, for your size it would work out but your better off with a two or three button SB.

You're not very smart, are you?

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
I have a lawyer friend who is also 6'8" and probably heavier (he's 50), and everyone notices him when he walks in the room no matter what he wears. He goes with the most conservative two button navy and charcoal suits (from Jack Victor MTM) just to fit in a little more. A double breasted suit is going to be a lot of fabric on such a large form so if you do go that way choose patterns very wisely or not at all.

If I end up getting one, it won't have any pattern. I figure I will already be taking a chance with the DB, I might as well not push my luck.

Thanks for all of the advice.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoomDiggs
I just passed the bar and I am looking to expand my suit collection fairly quickly. I don't have any double breasted suits, so I am thinking that one of my next two new suits will be a DB. However, I don't really know much about them so I was wondering if you could help me out.

1) DB is wholly appropriate for a lawyer, right? If it matters, I will be working on the transactional side of things.

2) I wear a 50XL, a DB will still work for someone who is 6'8" and 265lbs, correct?

3) Should a DB fit closer to the body than a SB?

4) I own a navy suit but not a gray flannel. Would one still suggest I go with the classic navy for the first suit?

5) Single or Double Vent?

6) Number of buttons?

All I know for sure is that I want peak lapels. Are there other important factors that I am not taking into account?

Thanks

Where do you live - a DB is fine in the UK - your robes as a barrister will cover it anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads