• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

First DB coat -- bespoke or Monitaly linen?

joonian

Reaction score
Hi gents,

I've had the urge to get a DB sportcoat for some time now. Luckily or unluckily for me, nothing in B&S has surfaced in my size or price range.

But I just came across the new Monitaly collection and -- behold -- they have what looks like the perfect starter DB for me. Navy, all linen, natural shoulders, great details like chambray lining, vintage metal buttons. (here at ROTM Shop)

The thing is, at USD415, plus shipping charges and alteration fees (I usually have to take the sleeves in due to my ridiculously short arms), I'll be within a couple of hundred bucks of a bespoke commission from Iris Tailor in Singapore (immortalised in Gshen's Singapore bespoke thread)

But going bespoke opens up a bunch of other considerations. I haven't actually seen the Monitaly coat, and I don't have close ups of it -- I'm waiting on some pics from the ROTM Shop guys -- so I don't have a good idea of the weight/drape/handle on the linen. Basically, if I go bespoke, I'm not sure what material or colour to select. Too many choices. The tailor has a few books of Dormeuil linen/cotton/mohair blends (Mersolair I think?) and pure linen, plus some Holland and Sherry linens and cottons.

I'm looking for a summer-weight coat, with unpadded shoulders and minimal lining. Probably prefer a 4x2 button configuration. I want to go the metal buttons route. I'm looking for something that's close to navy, but maybe a little bit more interesting, like an airforce blue or midnight. No patterns for now.

Can you give me recommendations for a good summerweight cloth? Any reason I should change my specs for a first navy DB coat? Has anyone had experience with Monitaly coats, and would you recommend them? Any other specific pieces from other brands that fit the bill?

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 44 15.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 90 31.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 54 18.8%
  • 31 - 40