1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

First day on the job

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Monkeyface, Feb 9, 2013.

1. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

In my experience in finance, there certainly is a line. Nobody is going to bat an eye at:

1. A single breasted suit in navy or dark grey (with or without pinstripes) that fits you well, whether it be MTM or off the rack.
    2. A well fitted white or blue solid dress shirt, or blue and white striped.
    3. A nice tie unless it is extremely loud and calls attention to itself.
    4. Conservative black dress shoes. I wouldn't wear the Gucci loafers on day one.

You can wear nice stuff, just don't get too eccentric. In fact, people expect their employees to look good and presentable. I'd avoid suspenders, especially if you are going to be spending a lot of time with your jacket off. Stick with basic white and blue shirts for the first few days and then start to check out what other people at your level wear. Once you're established and people know you're good at your job, they'll care less, but you don't want to be identified by your clothes when you're starting out. Good luck with the job.

2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

in NY? most i bank employees wear business casual. The more formal employees wear SB suits. DBs are exceedingly rare. Bit loafers are de rigueur.

3. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

First of all, I will congratulate on OP's effort to get into a good finance job in London, it is not easy these days.

In terms of clothes, I believed OP is bright enough to figure out how he should dress for his first day. If I must give a suggestion, I would say wear what you are comfortable with, that usually means the clothes you have in your collection. I am not a fan to wear new stuff to my first day at work, I often feel self-concious about getting my clothes dirty in the first wear, not the best concern in my first day. Since I know myself and very comfortable with classic men's clothing, I have worn Subdued chalkstripe and plain DBs to my interview and first day, and it really doesn't matter as long as you don't come as a dick or moron to your supervisor or co-workers.

I have my experience through Investment Banking and Barrister Chambers in Hong Kong and London.

p.s. there is a consensus that black shoes are more appropriate for business wear, not in Hong Kong.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  4. kushburner

kushburner Senior member

Depending who you work for and what you do, you can be wearing anything from sandles and shorts (Google) to a suit (law firm)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  5. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

Hi Monkeyface, Welcome to the forum. Your choice of shirts and suit are fine. As others have already said it depends on what area you work in and over the coming days, weeks and months you will observe what your colleagues are wearing and will blend in with your choices. This forum is an extremely good source of information and I wish I had this as a reference before I started in banking a few years ago :) There's no doubting though that first impressions do count so there's nothing wrong with looking sharp, dependable and hard working (which as you may know people can make a judgement on within seconds of meeting you). As with the tie choice - unless you have lots of $$$$ or you already own one then I'd skip the Brioni tie and go for something less pricey. Not that anyone will flip over your tie to check the label but I guess you should spend according to your means (I'm basing this on assumption that you may be junior so apologies if this isn't the case!) I'd probably spend more money on a decent pair of shoes over a tie - it's all about having decent shoes, people do notice footwear and to complement the other parts of your attire.

6. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Thanks for the info. I suspected finance had different "rules", but I never thought people would actually flip over each others ties. I don't agree with it and I would never do it myself, but I'll definitely keep that in mind. No need to offend anyone on my first day.

Thanks for the advice! Luckily I won't be pulling all nighters or making pitchbooks, that's the advantage of working on the trading desk, but I get your point.

Thank you for the detailed advice! Indeed, you want to be identified by the quality of your work, so I'll definitely stay within the norm.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, navy suit, light blue shirt and a dark blue tie. Basically as conservative as possible.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Nevertheless, some advice from more experienced people is always welcome, so thank you for that.

Yeah, a good first impression can certainly make a difference, so I'm trying to be as prepared as possible (clothing and knowledge/mindset). I already own the tie, I've always wanted to have a couple of nice ties, so I bought them heavily discounted during the winter sales as a sort of present to myself. I do have some black shoes, but I'm looking for another pair. Do you have any recommendations for shoes around $350-400?

7. Torsion

Torsion Senior member

I would probably recommend Crockett and Jones for that price range and ease of availability.I know a lot of the guys on this forum have strong opinions and have their favourite brands, perhaps I am also biased as I'm from the UK and since discovering quality footwear have only bought English made shoes but having also tried Church and Cheaney, C&J are certainly ahead in terms of build quality and leather in my humble opinion.
    I recently bought a pair of Sandringhams from the Cheaney Imperial line and had high expectations because of the price but was slightly disappointed as I was already comparing it to C&J.Still a decent shoe but not as refined as I would like at that price.Their City line range might be worth a look.
    I have also however have a couple of non-English shoes on order (Meermin) after reading about them on here which are well in your price range.Could be more of a risk getting some as ideally you'd want to try them on first before committing to an order and unless you're in Spain or Japan to visit their retail shops it would be tough!Although the guys there def know their lasts and have been very helpful to me in selecting an appropriate size.