• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First day of new job today--I've made a terrible mistake, what do I do?

carloponte

Reaction score
I was unemployed for several months, but I am not desperate to land another gig immediately.
I hated my old job and was laid off.
I just took this new job, first day today, similar to my old job.

This place is awful. It's like a morgue, it's slow, boring, my colleagues don't exactly seem friendly or outgoing...this is a step-backwards. and very painful.

I am the personality that won't really look for a new job if I'm on a job. I'm tempted to just quit right now, say I've made a mistake and go about my job search.

Does this sound like the right thing to do in my situation?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

I was unemployed for several months, but I am not desperate to land another gig immediately.

This place is awful.  It's like a morgue, it's slow, boring, my colleagues don't exactly seem friendly or outgoing...this is a step-backwards.  and very painful.

I am the personality that won't really look for a new job if I'm on a job.  I'm tempted to just quit right now, say I've made a mistake and go about my job search. 

yes.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can afford it, sure. But it's usually not a good idea to quit something without something else lined up. You never know what might happen. If it doesn't kill you and you can make money in the mean time, why not keep at it?

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can continue your search while going to work - what's wrong with that? Unless they're asking you to do something completely unethical or someone is abusing you, I can't imagine it's that unbearable. Depending on how long you're searching you can decide whether to include your current post in your CV.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you have the money to support yourself, do whatever makes you happy. If not, suck it up and make the best of it while you look elsewhere.

dandy1

Reaction score
what kind of job is it?

my 2c .. stay in the job and look for a new one .. if you are out of work (depending on what it is and therefore supply and demand) it doesnt look good as things in demand (ie you) always command a higher price .. .. SFs are famililar with this effect on the boards when it comes to boglioli jackets or cordovan loafers for instance ;)

dandy

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looks like the key issue is that you're not going to want to look for a job while on the job...

If you're content with your retirement funds and have enough savings then go for it (ie. have enough for several months)

If not grin and suck it up

Arthur PE

Reaction score
depends on the type of job
some employers might look at this as poor judgement

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe give it more than one day and see if you can find ways to make it work. Unless they're openly abusing you or something, how much can you possibly have learned so fast? It's not exactly uncommon for new employees to barely get exposed to anything for several weeks, and the game changes a lot once you're really involved in serious work.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a step backwards with no upward mobility? or a step backwards and you're stuck?

Also - you got laid off from your last job - but sounds like you didn't like that one either.

Is it possible you're just reacting to the shock of having to work again after an extended time of great personal liberty?

If you quit today, I think it's reasonable to just leave it off your resume completely, as you have a long period of unemployment. If you stay past a certain point, you probably can't. It would be an awkward situation during the job search to explain that you're leaving a job you've been in for days or weeks, so if you do stay, I suggest staying for a while.

If there are chances to be upwardly mobile, and you feel more qualified than your peers, that might not be the worst path.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A first day at work can be awkward for all parties. I'd give it a few more days to see if there is improvement in the atmosphere and work. What other options do you have?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This place is awful.  It's like a morgue, it's slow, boring, my colleagues don't exactly seem friendly or outgoing...this is a step-backwards.  and very painful.

I am the personality that won't really look for a new job if I'm on a job.  I'm tempted to just quit right now, say I've made a mistake and go about my job search. 

What is wrong with this generation??

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
If it was fun, they wouldn't pay you to do it. STFU, GBTW, and keep job searching.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads