• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First day of new job today--I've made a terrible mistake, what do I do?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If it was fun, they wouldn't pay you to do it. STFU, GBTW, and keep job searching.

If I had a dollar for every time I had to explain that to people, I would not need to work.

Canadian

Reaction score
I once quit a job as a housekeeper at a "high end" (really a dump) resort. It was an okay job, but after working six days a week, I made less than 300 a week (less money they charged me to live in dorms and eat a meal plan). I was drinking a lot to make the job bearable but I left to return to my old job which was 6 hours a day, five days a week for 450 a week. Living at home with a company car and CC.

It was fun to live in dorms and I made friends fast, but I couldn't go drink a litre of red wine every night and keep it up all summer.

On Mothers Day I quit. I went back home. My dad was away on business, but when he returned, he understood why I didn't want to clean toilets and make beds for a living.

Thomas

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The first day is always the hardest....give it a few weeks...

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least give it a month. My former job I wasn't too thrilled about until I gave it a little while. People opened up, new opportunities materialized, and I had a great time.

Always give yourself some time to size up the situation.

dandy1

Reaction score
it really depends on what the exaxt problem is .. why do you think its a mistake? are other staff treating you badly, is it money .. ?

theres no generic answer to the question and i dont think people on here can say that you should wait and see if they dont know the details and if there is something genuinely wrong which there could well be eg business is scamming people for instance, in which case I would say yes leave!

dandy.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you are going to leave do it now. Otherwise it has to go in your resume and it would look bad if you were there for only a couple weeks.

dandy1

Reaction score
why would you have to put it in your resume JMR if he left?

just leave it off entirely and there is no way a future employer would know you were ever there!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

it really depends on what the exaxt problem is .. why do you think its a mistake? are other staff treating you badly, is it money .. ?

theres no generic answer to the question and i dont think people on here can say that you should wait and see if they dont know the details and if there is something genuinely wrong which there could well be eg business is scamming people for instance, in which case I would say yes leave!

dandy. 

True, but the first day can be very awkward for all parties involved. I remember the first job I had after college. I was miserable the first couple of days, and was thinking I hadn't chosen wisely among my options, but then things turned around and it ended up being a great job.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like OP wouldn't like any type of job, but I'm probably reading too much into it.

dandy1

Reaction score
if there isnt a more serious problem i would say that most jobs are not 'fun' .. thats just a fact as the primary purpose of a job is to provide economic output which is of value to an employer .. not to amuse you ! however, you can learn things, meet people you wouldnt otherwise as well as earn money which makes it worthwhile.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not only should you quit this job, you should also add it to your resume. It'll show potential employers that you know when to cut your loses and move on. You're decisive. Add that adjective to your resume also.

• Go getter.
  • Results oriented.
  • Decisive. Quickly identifies problems, consults with noted experts on a style forum, and moves on.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[*] Decisive. Quickly identifies problems, consults with noted experts on a style forum, and moves on.
[/LIST]

LOL yeah but not quick enough to identify the problems say, during the interview when you are given time to ask your own questions.

dandy1

Reaction score
LOL yeah but not quick enough to identify the problems say, during the interview when you are given time to ask your own questions.

exactly. if you quit dont put it on your cv .. its not going to be looked at in a positive light .. more likely to think you are flakey and not committed to things you start (which may or may not be true).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics