• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

First Date

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take her to a quiet inexpensive restaurant. Make sure you listen to her preferences. I usually have at least 3 places in mind and always ask her if she's OK with the food that a particular restaurant is serving. If she doesn't eat sushi, for example, there always an Italian or Greek place I could take her to. Order wine or champagne. If you have the time, it's best to check out the place you're taking her a day before, to make sure it's not too crowded/noisy/unpleasant.

If she's not hungry or prefers not to eat late at night, take her to a nice quiet lounge and just have drinks and some tapas. Usually, some upscale hotel bar is a safe bet, although you will end up spending almost a hundred bucks on drinks and appetizers. In any case, when she's drunk and excited you can always improvise based on the situation and maybe take her to a noisier club or lounge. Have fun!

Oh, and try to drink less than her.

jenlain

Reaction score
Whatever you do, make it somewhere that you want to go. You are trying to determine if she is compatible with you. Take charge. I enjoy first dates that involve drinks late in the evening on a weekday. I typically suggest meeting at a particular spot that I know will provide a comfortable environment (not too empty, not too busy). I don't ask for approval and I have never had a woman suggest an alternative location.

Your date will be comfortable if you are comfortable and engaging. Most women couldn't give a shit where you take them as long as you provide them with good drinks and good conversation.

And don't offer to pick her up at her place. It sounds creepy on a first date.

allain2289

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 300zx1985
Dont do movie and dinner - its sorta lame and shows no imagination. I prefer to go to a place where you can walk around a bit and sit outside somewhere to chat if the weather is nice. Sushi bar is always fun, order a few drinks and order some sushi.... girls always seem to enjoy that.

Now you gave me the idea!
I'll try that.

thejohngalt100

Reaction score
Dinner and a movie isn't my style. First dates are interviews, imo. I don't want to sit in a movie theatre for two hours where I can't talk to my date. On the other hand, if I were in junior high, this would be the date of choice because we would spend our time making out during some Pixar flick.

My best first dates are in walking districts...ideally a place where you can hang out at multiple places and just casually stroll everywhere... A chill lounge for drinks and then walk around looking at the stores, Starbucks and then a bakery or place with good desserts, or any combination of the above with a little bit of people watching.

Also, for a first date...play on your turf, not hers. It's better to go to some place where you're likely to run into people you know or have people recognize you than go somewhere where you might run into a group of people she knows and you become the outsider that has to charm not only her, but also her friends that decide to join you for drinks.

Just my .02

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Upper class billiards and darts bar

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allain2289
Where to take your girl on the first date?

I prefer a candlelight dinner in a fancy restaurant. For me it's still romantic. How about you?

Does she even know it's a date? Or are you two hanging out for the first time since meeting or being put in touch?

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
Some kind of low-key restaurant always impresses me because it isn't trying too hard. If it's a nice and well picked place (ie: good food but hidden away/hip), I usually have a great time.

This was my M.O. Good food, smallish place, not terribly crowded or noisy but still with enough people and ambiance to allow for a good time. Success usually meant hitting some bars afterward.

Oh, this was my 2nd date tactic. First dates are almost always drinks on a weeknight. Drinks are always a good conversation lubricant and the weeknight part usually prevents from staying out too late or getting too hammered.

allain2289

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Does she even know it's a date? Or are you two hanging out for the first time since meeting or being put in touch?

She knew it's a date.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tomgirl
Some kind of low-key restaurant always impresses me because it isn't trying too hard. If it's a nice and well picked place (ie: good food but hidden away/hip), I usually have a great time.
it's really just a matter of time before you develop a monster crush on me.

*sigh*

here we go again.

zhouyu

Reaction score
Remember... theres no such thing as rape... its just the girl playing hard to get...

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
Upper class billiards and darts bar
Sounds like a nice evening. So tell us, did you meet tagut again for a 2nd date?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allain2289
She knew it's a date.

nothing romantic needed. just go have some drinks at a lounge....get to know her...

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
Sounds like a nice evening. So tell us, did you meet tagut again for a 2nd date?

He wont return my calls. I think he is just being coy.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.