• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First class for a penny - HK copy of Borrelli

mr_prak

Reaction score
Hi,

After reading through for a couple of days I need to say.. wow this is serious business!! Most of you guys do not only know what you are talking about, you also have lots of experience.

I am a big fan of Italian fashion. Before looking around here I had little feeling for the English style. But after seeing some great pics of a 'Huntsman syle' suit by WW Chan, I start to love the English syle as well. I guess the English style is at least as nice, only you need a lot more money to be in with 'the real thing'.

As I was really impressed with some HK tailor work I saw here, I started to wonder about shirts. Is it possible (and are some people experienced with) haveing a Borrelli MTM shirt copied by a HK tailor? I read before that Napoli shoulder cannot be done by most HK tailors, as they are SR teached. But what about shirts? I have a great MTM Borrelli with some great pleads at the shoulders and at the cuffs. Is there a HK tailor who can make a good copy of that shirt? And which one would you recommand?

Here are some pics of the Borrelli details I mean...
img1762kx1.th.jpg

img1774xu0.th.jpg

img1770fc7.th.jpg

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which pics of the Huntsman style WW Chan are you talking about?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not going to count on it.

Vortex

Reaction score
Eej Mr_Prak, that's my shirt i posted on stijlforum.nl. I bought this MTM at Maarten Tijssen in Nijmegen (Netherlands). Why would you let some HK tailor try to make the same details of a Borrelli shirt if you love Italation fashion? Just buy the original, quality costs money!

Ps: if you are gonna try it don't forgot that the tailor needs to handstitch the collar on the shirt (didn't made a pic of that),

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a Dutch incarnation of Styleforum? Since when?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hartmann
There is a Dutch incarnation of Styleforum? Since when?

OMG! This is the 1st time I heard of this! This is great!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Its like a door to a parallel dimension!

I'm checking right now if there's a member there named "zuurrijke jongen"
smile.gif

mr_prak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vortex
Eej Mr_Prak, that's my shirt i posted on stijlforum.nl. I bought this MTM at Maarten Tijssen in Nijmegen (Netherlands). Why would you let some HK tailor try to make the same details of a Borrelli shirt if you love Italation fashion? Just buy the original, quality costs money!

Ps: if you are gonna try it don't forgot that the tailor needs to handstitch the collar on the shirt (didn't made a pic of that),

Hii, yea I know... your pics were so nice, I thought I'll borrow them! I know quality costs money... But I want to have first class quality for second class money.

I cannot imagine there is no one who tried this before... there must be people with experience in this!!

I have already mailed Chan and Jentzen with same pics asking weather they can copy it. -Will they say so if they cannot do it?? - About the handstitched collar... I don't want pleats on the back (makes it less CttB), so I am fine when that is done by a machine.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm passing them by tonight, will ask them and post tomorrow

Vortex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr_prak
But I want to have first class quality for second class money.

I have already mailed Chan and Jentzen with same pics asking weather they can copy it. -Will they say so if they cannot do it?? - About the handstitched collar... I don't want pleats on the back (makes it less CttB), so I am fine when that is done by a machine.

Well I guess you can always try, my experience with Chan and Jantzen (...) is very bad. No reply on emails and the pictures of the shirts I have seen here are not that impressive. But you will all find out.

Btw: why would a handstitched collar mean that the shirt has pleats on the back....?

mr_prak

Reaction score
Well I guess you can always try, my experience with Chan and Jantzen (...) is very bad. No reply on emails and the pictures of the shirts I have seen here are not that impressive. But you will all find out.

Btw: why would a handstitched collar mean that the shirt has pleats on the back....?

You are right, that is not nessercary..

@Toiletduck
Thanks man!!

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting, I have never heard of Chan being unresponsive to e-mails. As to Jantzen, poor at responding to e-mails, but great construction and fabrics at the price. Inasmuch as most people self-measure, it is hard to fault Jantzen on fit.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forgot I had a dinner engagement last night and couldn't hop over to pick up some shirts and ask about this....tonight! :)

mr_prak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
Forgot I had a dinner engagement last night and couldn't hop over to pick up some shirts and ask about this....tonight! :)

Great, thanks..

Must be nice to have a chap called Chan livin' so close!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads