• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Chinese chef/restaurant awarded Michelin 3 stars

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never in the many times I've been there have I thought it to be a three star restaurant.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Never in the many times I've been there have I thought it to be a three star restaurant.

+1

July

Reaction score
Never been. I might line it up on the docket for my HK trip in February. If not 3-star worthy, is it still worth going (sans expense account)?

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any article that mentions 'chinese food' and 'clarity' or 'subtlety' or 'small portions' or 'foie gras' in the same breath sends my BS meter into overdrive. This bit in particular made me laugh:
But there has been some sniping, perhaps inevitable, that Michelin granted its first three stars not to one of the city’s lively family restaurants, but to one in a hotel with ingredients that would appeal to foreigners, and maybe especially the French. The restaurant has fought that impression since the stars were awarded, saying that most of its customers are Chinese and the ingredients a sign of creativity, not culinary pandering.
What the restaurant also fails to mention is that Chinese people would eat its food if it had a Ralph Lauren, LV, or Lacoste logo emblazoned on it. As the article hinted, the Chinese do not always dine for their own pleasure - a large part of it is 'impressing guests'. I will be opening a taco stand soon. And it will have foie gras in it. Watch for the first 3 Michelin star Mexican food stand.

rsgould

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
What the restaurant also fails to mention is that Chinese people would eat its food if it had a Ralph Lauren, LV, or Lacoste logo emblazoned on it. Watch for the first 3 Michelin star Mexican food stand.[/I]

Gross generalization. Perhaps more true in Hong Kong than in, say, Guizhou.

But anyway, I would agree in the broad sense that much of the high-end Cantonese cuisine that can be found in HK tends to be underwhelming at best.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by July
Never been. I might line it up on the docket for my HK trip in February. If not 3-star worthy, is it still worth going (sans expense account)?

It's worth going to and not very expensive, but don't expect to be blown away as you would expect at a 3 star restaurant. The dim sum and food in general is very well-done, as they are at most of HK's 5 star hotels' restaurants. This one gets more creative than the other but isn't all that wild. Fine service and presentation, which I believe partly accounts for Lung King Heen's 3 stars. Michelin probably thought they needed to give out one "3 star" designation to avoid being lynched, and personally I can't think of any obvious choices.

FWIW, I find the most satisfying Cantonese meals in HK are to be had in more traditional restaurants. The service and presentation are quite different.

rsgould

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos

IME, Hongkongers are by far the most egregious offenders I have come across in the 'conspicuous consumption' department.

True. Although slowly but surely, Shanghainese are starting to give HKers a run for their money in this regard. I was at one of the upscale malls in TST a month or two ago and was trying to ask a saleswoman a few questions, but she spoke no English (and I don't speak Cantonese). But we ended up chatting in Mandarin, and she said all the salespeople in TST are learning Mandarin to accommodate the Mainlanders who come to shop at the big name designer boutiques. She even said I could pay in RMB instead of HKD.

Sure enough, walk around certain boutiques and more and more Mainlanders are there, dropping huge sums of money (in cash, naturally), buying--shall we say--less than tasteful items.

Originally Posted by whoopee
FWIW, I find the most satisfying Cantonese meals in HK are to be had in more traditional restaurants. The service and presentation are quite different.

Agreed. I find Guangzhou-style Cantonese a bit more down-to-earth and homely than HK-style, even at the top restaurants in GZ. That being said, Cantonese street food (noodles, siu mei, etc) tends to be much better in HK, mostly because there are actual health standards in HK.

Anyway....anyone have a (Chinese) restaurant choice in Greater China worthy or 3 Michelin Stars? I'm going to give it some thought but nothing comes to mind.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rsgould
Sure enough, walk around certain boutiques and more and more Mainlanders are there, dropping huge sums of money (in cash, naturally), buying--shall we say--less than tasteful items.
Understatement of the century.
frown.gif
I place the blame squarely on them (and the Russians) for the following example of 'progress' - the evolution of the Polo Ralph Lauren polo shirt:

small monochrome polo player -> small multicolor polo player -> big number, small monochrome polo plater -> big number, big monochrome polo player -> big number, big multicolour polo player -> big number, big monochrome polo players -> -> big number, big multicolour polo players

pPOLO2-3690122_mailer_t208.jpg

I predict for A/W 2009, a line of 10 multicolour polo players across the front of the shirt, complete with flashing LEDs and electronic whinnying.

rsgould

Reaction score
There are a number of brands introducing product lines solely for the Chinese market. Vuitton, Gucci, Boss, and Zegna come to mind. Wouldn't be shocked at all if RL does the same thing in coming seasons--or maybe they already do.

So far, the aforementioned product lines have a few things in common: 1) they are ugly, 2) they feature incredibly garish logos or trademarked patterns (right up there with giant polo players), 3) workmanship is lower but prices are the same as products for Euro/US market, 4) pairings of navy and black.*

*If a light blue shirt with a navy tie is the "Italian background", than certainly a navy jacket over black pants is the Mainland equivalent--and Boss is putting this in the windows in boutiques across China)

HitMan009

Reaction score
I thought this thread was supposed to be about Cantonese cuisine which I believe truly is the best of the different styles of chinese cooking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics