• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First chan suit

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well guys, I got my first tailored suit - ordered from ww chan because of the good feedback on this board.

The big thing I noticed in the fit is that the armholes are high (as expected for it being tailred) and I feel it right under my arm pit. It doesn't hinder mobility but it's the first time I've felt a suit under my armpit. Is that what is supposed to happen in tailored suits?

I love the details on the suit and the shoulders fit well. I didn't get a ticket pocket but I hear that is the trendy thing to get these days. What about you guys?

Sorry, I don't have pics 'cause I sent it to be pressed and I don't have a digital camera.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As long as it doesn't tickle a high armhole is generally a good thing. Ticket pockets are trendy which means that in 18 months it will be trendy to look down on them. Only if you find that last sentence completely irrelevant to how you approach dressing should you get a ticket pocket.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Could you give us some more info about your purchase? Where did you get it fitted? What fabric did you get?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was fitted in NYC during their visit in March. I got a 2 button, dark gray, super 150. Apparently their 2 buttons are higher in position and the top button is closer in position to that of a 3 button.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your suits sounds much like the one that I got last fall. I think Mr. Chu really likes that high-stance, two-button style.

On another note, have any other Chan-ites gotten their March orders yet? Chu had said "late June" to me, but now I'm gonna start getting impatient.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your suits sounds much like the one that I got last fall. I think Mr. Chu really likes that high-stance, two-button style.

On another note, have any other Chan-ites gotten their March orders yet? Chu had said "late June" to me, but now I'm gonna start getting impatient.
I've yet to receive my March order (suit and shirt) yet, although I received the suit jacket that Patrick altered after the March visit. He also told me "late June."

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(JLibourel @ May 23 2005,14:10) Your suits sounds much like the one that I got last fall. I think Mr. Chu really likes that high-stance, two-button style. On another note, have any other Chan-ites gotten their March orders yet? Chu had said "late June" to me, but now I'm gonna start getting impatient.
I've yet to receive my March order (suit and shirt) yet, although I received the suit jacket that Patrick altered after the March visit. He also told me "late June."
As I recall, your major problem with your first Chan suit was too-long sleeves. Was the garment altered to your total satisfaction?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Vintage Gent @ May 23 2005,15:07)
Originally Posted by JLibourel,May 23 2005,14:10
Your suits sounds much like the one that I got last fall. I think Mr. Chu really likes that high-stance, two-button style. On another note, have any other Chan-ites gotten their March orders yet? Chu had said "late June" to me, but now I'm gonna start getting impatient.
As I recall, your major problem with your first Chan suit was too-long sleeves. Was the garment altered to your total satisfaction?
It was. Patrick did a superb job of fixing the sleeve length and adding more waist suppression.

NBankston

Reaction score
Received mine yesterday. I was measured in Chicago in early March. Sleeves are a bit (1/4 to 1/2 inch) too long and the skirt is a little too closed for my taste. All in all, though, I am extremely pleased.

DandySF

Reaction score
I agree about the closed skirt. It's my one quibble with Chan. I wonder if Chan is able, and willing, to modify the pattern so that the skirt has a bit more of a curve and a greater degree of openness? I'll ask when Patrick returns to San Francisco this summer.

I made the mistake of ordering a 3 button. They basically just added a non-functioning button hole and button--much like the old Brooks Bros jackets of yesteryear. I wish it were just a two button since the stance is already, as mentioned above, rather high. Seems kind of silly to have a decorative button on the coat. But I have noticed that Isaia produces a similar top button. So I take some comfort in knowing that there is at least some precedent for this odd touch.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake of ordering a 3 button.  They basically just added a non-functioning button hole and button--much like the old Brooks Bros jackets of yesteryear.  I wish it were just a two button since the stance is already, as mentioned above, rather high.  Seems kind of silly to have a decorative button on the coat.  But I have noticed that Isaia produces a similar top button.  So I take some comfort in knowing that there is at least some precedent for this odd touch.
That is strange. I have several three button WW Chan suits and none of them are rolled to the middle button. I did not ask for it that way, and assumed that to be the default.

The way mine are done is more Isaia than Brooks, i.e. the top button is visible and not rolled under, and the buttonhole is precisely at the level where the roll ends rather than being higher up on the rolled lapel like a classic Brooks suit

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could the difference between the 3-button suit DandySF got and yours possibly be attributable to the different styles of Patrick Chu and his predecessor Ronald Kiang?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake of ordering a 3 button.  They basically just added a non-functioning button hole and button--much like the old Brooks Bros jackets of yesteryear.
Out of curiosity, did you discuss button stance or lapel roll with Patrick?

dan

DandySF

Reaction score
Patrick and I discussed what I wanted and what he recommended. Obviously this point could have been discussed in greater detail. I'll be more insistent next time in finding out what the finished item will actually look like. The morale of the story here is to go over each point in detail and get very clear about what you want and what Patrick can actually deliver.

I brought in pictures of jackets I liked from Paul Stuart, Hickey Freeman, and Huntsman. I figured my jacket would be a hybrid of the three. So, I was somewhat surprised by the top button placement. The lapel rolls down to the middle button. The top button is virtually behind or within the lapel roll.

naturlaut

Reaction score
The lapel rolls down to the middle button.  The top button is virtually behind or within the lapel roll.
Err... and what is the problem of that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads