• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First C&J's... comment and questions (and pictures)

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing will be boring if you wear Happy Sox! :fonz: Here are my Cottesmore in chestnut paired with navy pinstripe:
8636063024_217c11ba77.jpg
Brown:
8594057313_c0b40d2c93.jpg
It's a great color; as Harry and Roger previously stated, it's not the most conservative combination but you would be the best judge of your workplace sartorial culture.

K to Wall St

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! So it seems consensus is this color is better than black for a navy suit, but there are even better options out there as well... and if I do wear with navy its a little more of a statement (less conservative, but still perfectly acceptable).

Is the third combo dark grey/charcoal or navy? Obviously navy works better than the dark charcoal, IMO.

Third photo is actually a Navy herringbone, not a charcoal grey. I thought my pictures were pretty good so I didn't bother to color correct them (easy to do, so will probably do it for future posts in this forum), plus everyone's monitor is a bit different. But in real life you can definitely tell it's navy.

I wear shoes of that colour, as well as shoes in mid-brown (such as C&J's chestnut and beechnut) colours with navy and grey suits and no-one's ever minded.

This makes me think you would categorize these shoes as a different shade than C&J's chestnut?... except they are C&J chestnut, so maybe again the color is coming through wrong? Manufacturers photo might be more accurate? http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Westbourne-Chestnut

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The manufacturer's photo makes it look like a medium brown - the kind of shade that I have no issue with in terms of pairing with navy. Your photos and those of DpprDr look similar to each other, and reflect my understanding of "chestnut" as a shoe colour.

Your first statement comes close to reflecting a consensus view, I think. Your personal aesthetic preference paired with an understanding of your particular work environment will be the most important guiding factors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads