• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Boyz N Tha Hood, now The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news...ing_movie.html

Anyone have any movie-theater moments (that hopefully didn't end up in gunplay) where you've had to tell someone to stfu, or have been TOLD to stfu?

I had a pretty awkward moment at a screening of Amistad once, where I felt like I was probably going to be shot. But other than that - people are usually pretty calm around here.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not to condone the shooting; however, it bothers me to have people talking constantly and loudly throughout a movie. It's so disrespectful. And even when talkers are asked to shut up, they often don't. I can understand the rage of the shooter.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've politely asked people to "Please, shut the **** up" in a movie theatre......

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I always figured the person you tell to shut the **** up is most likely to kill you.

KBW

Reaction score
That guy must be a nut. Shoots someone and then just sits back down to enjoy the movie.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I always figured the person you tell to shut the **** up is most likely to kill you.
Yes.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This wasn't attempted murder, it was attempted-to-get-some-asshole-to-shut-up.

And yes, I've had my incidents. Shocker I know. The most memorable one was telling a teenage girl next to me to put her "damn phone away." She was texting and the light was driving me up a wall.

b

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
This wasn't attempted murder, it was attempted-to-get-some-asshole-to-shut-up.

And yes, I've had my incidents. Shocker I know. The most memorable one was telling a teenage girl next to me to put her "damn phone away." She was texting and the light was driving me up a wall.

b

People who leave their phones on and take calls during the movie drive me crazy.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
I once had a guy try to start a fight at the movie theater because I coughed in his face, to this day I'm not sure how I did that from behind him. My much bigger brother-in-law stepped in knowing I probably fight back and get myself beaten senseless.

On the subject of phones, a much younger/smaller guy was infront of us, his phone started ring and my brother-in-law didn't miss a beat as he said "shut it it off douch". 90% of the people in the theater started laughing at the guy, including the friends he was with.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I once saw Highlander III (probably my first mistake) as a midnight movie at the United Artists in downtown Baltimore on Fayette Street many years ago. I was in high school at the time. If you know Baltimore, this was well before Power Plant Live came in and cleaned things up considerably. It wasn't an awful area, but it wasn't a good one at the time either. It was a theater patronized almost exclusively by African-Americans, and for a midnight movie, by young, sketchy African-Americans. I am not African-American.

If you haven't seen Highlander III, congratulations. But just so you know, Mario van Peebles is the antagonist of the film. Throughout the final scene, as Christopher Lambert (white) was defeating Mario van Peebles (black) in the climactic swordfight, the very loud and unruly crowd was throwing things at the screen and rooting for van Peebles to kill Lambert in malicious tones and language.

It is the only time I have ever been sincerely concerned for my safety in a public place.

horndog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That dude has got to be an Eagles fan.

Rand B

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
...And even when talkers are asked to shut up, they often don't...
This is a mistake. When encountering truly obstreperous persons in a public setting, you do not request compliance, but rather offer directives. When I was around 17, during a screening of L.A. Confidential, a group made it known that they were unable to sit still and be quiet like good teenagers. I quietly excused myself from my company and walked back to the source of the noise. I told the loudest member to get up. He did, but for his own reasons. After demonstrations were made, I said leave. He did, this time for mine. His entourage followed suit.

R.B.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads