First Blazer/Suit-DB?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MrPsellus, Aug 16, 2011.

1. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

a DB suit will suit his tall and skinny build. I don't see why DB should be banned for starter suit? Business people wear it all the time, a well fitted DB is just as nice as a SB notch

As I said, if you think you can pull it off, not looking weird in the mirror, buy it and wear it with pride

I also don't understand why a well sized peaked lapel on SB is no good for very conservative environment? I don't think there is such a field in nature can restrict people to not wear peaked....

2. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

The truth comes out. :teach:

Sure, I wore a grey flannel :eek: HF DB :eek: :eek: to my first job interview (N.B. they wern't popular then either) and got the job.

I don't think that it really makea a diff. whether a college kid's first suit is SB or DB. Pattern and color is more important when interviewing.

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Business people do not wear DB suits all the time. The de facto standard for most suit wearing industries is a SB notch lapel suit. Think less thom browne and more joseph a Bank. Not to mention, this is a 21-year-old, not a seasoned business veteran It will look weird.

Will peak lapels raise a stir in most offices, probably not.. Is it the norm? No.

4. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Do you jump very high when you hear bumps in the night too? :laugh:

Note, if a business suit is required in a place of business, that's what 's required. Any more specificity as to what's "safe" or "standard" is in the mind of the wearer.

5. graymerica

graymerica Well-Known Member

I think the point is... If you are going to own one suit. Make is a standard two button conservative suit.

6. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

I'll go wiith pick a conservative color/fabric. Requiring a 2btn SB is overkill. That's my point.

7. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Are you being intentionally obtuse? The young man who started this thread is just beginning his professional life, and you think its cool for him to stand out by wearing an item that is not considered the norm? At this time, it will be the only suit that the man owns. Why start at a DB? You could probably wear a SB navy suit 4 days in a row and nobody would say anything. 4 days of a navy doublebreasted will raise some unflattering suspicions.

Bottom line, DB is fine (if you like them), once you have a few staple suits.

8. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Now whose being obtuse? I don't see how wearing the same DB 4 days in a row would be any worse than wearing the same SB 4 days in a row.
    Either would raise "unflattering suspicions" (whatever those are).

So what's the norm?

............Defined by whom?

................................................You?

...................................................................:laugh:

We're all entitled to our personal prejudices, but that doesn't make them "norms". To think otherwise is somewhat megalomanic.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  9. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

I agree with yachtie. Sober patterns and colors is much more important to presenting the right impression in a suited job interview than whether you went for a DB over a SB. Obviously, restraint is called for. You don't want six-inch wide lapels unless you're 7 feet tall. But beyond that, a sober, well-fitted DB will attract hardly any more unfavorable judgments than will a sober, well-fitted SB.

I too wore a 6x2 DB to an interview--in marine blue, not even navy!--and was offered the job. Paired it with a maroon grenadine tie, white-ground shirt, white linen hank in TV fold, and black derbies. The ensemble looked sober to me.

10. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I give up.

Enjoy your DBs.

OP if you want to look ridiculous like these chaps, have at it.

11. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Outstanding!

12. graymerica

graymerica Well-Known Member

Testudo_Aubreii ,

What kind of job were you applying to? and how old were you are the time?

13. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

I'd definitely warn against getting a DB suit as your first suit. Its not a matter of it looking good or not, its that it will be clear to everyone that you only have ONE suit. Take the more practical approach until you have 2-3 suits in your closet.

14. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

the same Idea will apply to a SB?

any better arguments?

I am sure when you brought your first suit, even for a graduate you will start buying more

15. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I'm generally a proponent of buying things you'll enjoy wearing rather than buying a load of boring conservative 'staple' items before getting anything interesting; but still, I would not really recommend a DB as your very first suit. As the second, maybe...