• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Black Lapel suit: fit check

Reaction score
Lurker joining the well-dressed fray here. I received my first MTM suit (and my first new suit in several years) recently. Black Lapel navy microcheck super-slim 2-button SB with 5-button vest. As I rarely have occasion to don a suit and have never owned such a slim fit before I could use your thoughts. My first impression is that it fits very well. It's snug but feels pretty natural and doesn't feel like it is straining or inconsistently tight and I have full ROM. I cropped a little low but the collar sits on the shirt collar sits on my neck without excess gap. Is the jacket a little too short or anything visibly too tight? I'm generally aiming for timeless with a modern lean.

Thoughts on the blue (Proper Cloth) shirt also appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Without jacket for vest and trouser fit:

HughJ

Reaction score
You'll get the best advice in the Tailors Thread.

For me the jacket is short overall. The rise of the pants or the length of the vest is off leaving that gap at the waist. The pockets typically bow like that if the seat is too tight, but since it is more flared on your right side, there may be other issues at play. Belts don't work with 3-piece suits, IMHO. There's a lot of other stuff to clean up, but I won't pretend to know how.....best left to the tailors.

Reaction score
Thanks Hugh I've linked this thread there. Regarding the vest/pants gap, should you not be able to see the waist/button of the pants? (In this case the belt buckle.) I know you shouldn't see the shirt, which you can't or only just.

Hadn't heard opposition to belt with vest before but I suppose it does result in a lot of elements coming together in one place. I had the buttons put in for braces (because why not) and they fit my waist well enough they'd stay up on their own so I could just have the loops removed if I wanted.

The jacket does look borderline short to my eye but how much to add? I think the sleeves are fine as just shifting around I can get them to sit too low or too high vs. the shirt cuff. Maybe that means the sleeves are too tight to fall naturally.

You may be right about the seat but I'd chalk up the pocket asymmetry to my not standing perfectly straight. Maybe the overall lesson here is that aggressive super-slim results in super-sensitivity.

Cheers,
Chris

Reaction score
Unfortunately that thread seems pretty dead. Any more advice would help a lot, thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads