• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Bespoke Suit Hong Kong Tailors

MGLL

Reaction score
Upon my recent trip to Hong Kong I decided I would invest in a couple of bespoke suits. I am a student completing my MSc and wanted to make sure I had suitable suits for interviews and jobs etc. I had been browsing SF for a while doing as much research as possible to make sure I made the right decision.

From what I understood W.W.Chan were generally considered to be the best but were unfortunately out of my price range.
Closely second were Gordon Yao and Y.William Yu. Both of whom were also out of my price range. (It seems that HK tailors have upped their prices recently??)

Upon the general consensus of most SF'ers I went with Peter Lee of Lee Baron. I emailed him prior to my arrival informing him of my time in HK as well as my requirements and asking about price. He replied very quickly (much faster than a couple of other tailors I contacted which certainly helped him to get my business) and was very helpful in letting me know that I had suitable time for all the fittings required.

I did as much research as possible before going as I understood that Peter Lee was good at fitting but required a firm hand with regards to specifying exactly what it was I wanted.

I went to see Peter on the second day I was in Hong Kong and as this was my first bespoke experience I was a little unsure of exactly what to do! Luckily Peter Lee proved to be most accommodating. First I selected the fabrics, now, I am no expert on fabric but I know I did not choose anything spectacular like a Zegna or H&S, rather I went with his house materials - which for my age (24) and experience (very little) were perfectly suitable. I opted for a medium grey in super 120's and a navy in super 150's. I also opted for 4 shirts. I paid HKD 5,500 for each suit. I was quoted HKD 3,500 for the standard suit when I emailed, however he told me that it was an extra HKD 2,000 for fully canvassed and as I was going for my first bespoke - naturally I opted for fully canvassed
bigstar[1].gif

Once I was aware of the price and was happy with the material I had selected, he measured me up and then brought out a selection of pictures with models wearing a variety of different suits. He must have a lot of western clients who had specified pretty much what I had wanted as he pretty much detailed all of this before I even had a chance to inform him myself! I was very pleased as I was nervous about this part due to inexperience. He then told me to come back in 3 days for my first fitting.

I was unsure of what to expect and was amused to find the first fitting involved what was essentially 2/3 of a suit, no sleeve, no structure and no waist band on the trousers! He made a few adjustments, called in 'Sifu' (the master tailor) which was nice to see, who made a few touch ups of his own! I learnt that my shoulder's were different heights and one of my legs was larger. (both were no surprise as I've had an age old shoulder injury and also had recently had knee surgery!!)

I was asked to come back a couple days later for my second fitting. Unfortunately the suits weren't ready yet so I had to come back a few hours later, a little frustrating but no big deal, I guess I should have called... This time the suit looked and felt pretty damn good. I was very happy with almost everything but Peter Lee still made a few very small chalk marks of a 1/4 inch here and there and I also asked him to shorten the sleeves a tiny tiny bit so I could have more cuff showing. I also tried on the shirts he made. They were excellent. I am again by no means an expert on top quality bespoke shirts but I can compare them to shirts I have bought OTR from Hawes and Curtis, Gucci, D&G, Armani, Kenzo, Paul Smith etc and they fit better then any shirt I have ever purchased before (perhaps to be expected considering they were bespoke but I was delighted nonetheless!) In fact I decided I would get 4 more shirts whilst I was there
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I came back for the final fitting (although it was actually to collect the suits, it would have been a fitting had I required more alterations which I did not.) and I was very pleased with the end product. I brought my dad, uncle and brother with me who were all very impressed.

So, in conclusion, I found my experience with Peter Lee to be utterly professional. I found his manner excellent along with his English. Any request I had was accepted and carried out in exactly the manner I wanted. I never felt rushed when choosing material or features and I even asked him to tailor a pair of jeans I had that were too big, to resemble another pair I have that are perfect, and of course, they came out perfectly... I have owned OTR Ted Baker (as a child), Hugo Boss and Armani suits. These fit and sit on my frame in a way that the others simply could not. In particular the trousers are exceptional, I have heard Peter Lee be complimented on his trousers once before and I must agree, they really are great. To say that I am delighted with my first two bespoke suits is an understatement. I would happily recommend Peter Lee to anyone who wanted an affordable high quality service and product.

Here I include pictures from my first fitting as well as a picture of the lining (I chose gold as my lining color for personal reasons, I understand it might not be to everyone's taste!) I unfortunately do not have any pictures of me wearing the finished suits as they are currently in the dry cleaners being steam pressed after my 15 hour journey back to London! I will however provide such pictures once I get them back :)

I apologise for the picture quality! My uncle took them with his mobile!! It's a shame the last picture is a little blurry as you can really see the difference in the tiny alterations Peter made between pics 3 and 4.

I will update with the new pictures when I have them. I understand that I have written a bit of an essay for my first post but when I was looking through SF for advice on my first bespoke suit and reviews of a tailor in HK this is exactly what I wanted to find but instead managed to piece together from several different posts. I hope this post helps someone in the way that many of yours helped me!

Regards

Marco

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting, thanks. It will be good to see a full set of photographs of the finished suits. Can you include front and rear with and without the jackets please to see how the trousers fit (so often neglected) and also the inside of the coats to show the detail of his finishing. Again also neglected.

To answer your original question, have not noticed prices have risen recently to an material extent.

Last edited:

MGLL

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I would be happy to provide those pictures for you. I get the suits back on Wednesday and will most likely be able to get the pictures up on Thursday or over the weekend at the very latest. If you have any recommendations of how I should take the pictures that would be great, otherwise I will just do my best to capture the details you mentioned. I would also be pleased to receive constructive criticism of the suits, as I have mentioned before, I am a novice! So whilst I may be very pleased with the suits a more experienced eye might spot faults! I am only able to compare them to those OTR that I have owned before.

Regards and Happy New Year

Marco

lucidream

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing the final pictures. I am heading to Taiwan for xmas next year, so I may follow in your footsteps and visit this tailor as well :)

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good recap. Looking fwd to seeing the end product.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your reply.  I would be happy to provide those pictures for you.  I get the suits back on Wednesday and will most likely be able to get the pictures up on Thursday or over the weekend at the very latest.  If you have any recommendations of how I should take the pictures that would be great, otherwise I will just do my best to capture the details you mentioned.  I would also be pleased to receive constructive criticism of the suits, as I have mentioned before, I am a novice! So whilst I may be very pleased with the suits a more experienced eye might spot faults! I am only able to compare them to those OTR that I have owned before.  

Regards and Happy New Year

Marco 

The main thing is that you have someone take the photographs and don't try top do it with a mirror.

Do photograph both as it will be interesting to see if there are any differences in detail or fit.

iSurg

Reaction score
Good write up of the Lee Baron experience. I had a suit and some cotton/linen pants made up and was quite happy with the results. Good price point for the quality but my main issue is that they are hard to access to improve fit, etc. I guess this is ubiquitous to tailors overseas. Impt to find a good local tailor in your price range to develop a relationship with. Don't know when I'll visit HK next...

lucidream

Reaction score
main comment for pic is plenty of natural light, and to see you in natural poses

MGLL

Reaction score
Good write up of the Lee Baron experience. I had a suit and some cotton/linen pants made up and was quite happy with the results. Good price point for the quality but my main issue is that they are hard to access to improve fit, etc. I guess this is ubiquitous to tailors overseas. Impt to find a good local tailor in your price range to develop a relationship with. Don't know when I'll visit HK next...
Thank you. This is indeed an issue with having any tailor overseas! Luckily for me I have family in HK and therefore have a great excuse to visit more often
smile.gif
, not to mention I am 24 and very active therefore it is highly unlikely my body shape will change much in the near future! You do however bring up a good point, if anyone knows of any good and affordable tailor's in London capable of making any (most likely very minor) adjustments I may require in the future I would be glad to hear of them!

cool, these prices are really good actually
Yes, they are! Especially for the level of service I felt I received.

Looking forward to seeing the final pictures. I am heading to Taiwan for xmas next year, so I may follow in your footsteps and visit this tailor as well :)
To be honest I am looking forward to trying the suits on again as well! I would definitely recommend doing so, especially considering the price I paid for each bespoke suit was actually a fair amount less than what I would have paid for an average OTR one from say Hugo Boss in London.

MGLL

Reaction score
My apologies! I snapped a few pictures a while back but they have essentially gone against everything you told me as it is dark and therefore I couldn't use natural light etc etc then completely forgot about posting them! So please forgive me and I will do my best to get you some good pictures with natural light and when I have not just thrown everything on in a rush. I didn't even get a chance to snap my navy suit, which, in my opinion, is the better one ;)

Advice for when I next take pictures regarding pose etc would be much appreciated as these definitely do not do justice to the suits!

Regards,

Marco

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting these. These photographs are excellent and show the finished garment well. the only extra one I would suggest is one showing the whole of the interior of the coat as well.

In many ways it looks quite good but;

The sleeves look way too short - especially the left one.
There is some rumpling at the back - not too serious and most would not even notice it.
The trousers do not look quite right in the thighs but that might just be how they are sitting on your shoe - see the sixth photo. Nothing to worry about though.
Next time ask for a heavier lining. I have noticed on several tailors (Not Chan.Yao or Yu) that the lining is far too lightweight which allows the construction of the coat to be seen behind which is not good at all. Even in HK that does not make the coat too warm.

On detail, I assume that the trousers have the standard pocket (for HK tailors) in the waistband and the coat a ticket pocket? I assume that you did not ask for any more nor did Lee Baron offer them.

The sleeves are the one to look at but otherwise it is a decent looking suit, well done.

I look forward to you posting the same array of views of the blue suit.

lucidream

Reaction score
I think the sleeves on the shirt are simply too long. Especially on the left side, where the collar has pulled down. I don't think the issue is the suit. I admittedly do find the back somewhat "hourglassy" - but perhaps that is simple your figure... do you work out your shoulders/back more than your chest/arms?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads