• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First bespoke shirt, comment on fit *update

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I have recently bought my first bespoke shirt and would like comments on fit. Does anything need to be changed? I'm a slender guy and lend towards a little more aggressive fitting. I am not too sure if the arms are correct or not; however, it is better than how it once was. I would must like some constructive criticism. Thank you.

-G

P.S. The image quality is a bit low. Macbook Pro cameras are terrible.
ffffuuuu.gif

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics w/ the shirt tucked me would be best. From what I can see, your sleeves are too loose and too long. Also, I would get the shoulder taken in just a bit. Otherwise looks fine, but again tucked in pics are critical here.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wash it. Iron it. Wear it. Wash it. Iron it. Wear it. Wash it. Iron it.

Put it on. Take another series of pictures.

(you may substitue commercial laundry for washing and ironing)

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear your jacket when making assessments of sleeve length. Also see how the shirt feels sitting down before taking any advice on going slimmer.

nmerc001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeves should shorten a bit after a couple of washes.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will do, thanks! I'll wash it a few more times and we'll see.
smile.gif

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, yes, I know. I just threw it on really quick and took some pictures so I can get a broad overview of fit opinions. Thanks.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beyond what's already been mentioned, your right sleeve appears too long.

A bit of a side rant: is there a particular reason that bespoke shirtmakers don't prewash fabric? Even after nailing down fit on a first shirt, shrinkage will vary according to fabric and therefore the resulting fit will be less than optimal. I realize that time and cost come into play, but I've offered to pay a premium for prewashing/shrinking, only to be told by Borrelli and Finamore that they can't/won't do it. Merolla won't do it either... what gives??
confused.gif

Nautilus

Reaction score
Maybe they don't want to work with what is essentially a damaged material. I agree they should offer this service, as it is most practical to ensure best fit (very few customers will dry clean everything forever.)

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Beyond what's already been mentioned, your right sleeve appears too long.

A bit of a side rant: is there a particular reason that bespoke shirtmakers don't prewash fabric?

Some say that mills pre-wash these days anyway, so there's no point to having the maker do it again. I don't buy it.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He said he laundered the shirt for me but then had to redo the sleeves. I do not think he did it afterwards. This is probably why the torso fits well but the sleeves do not yet.

@medtech_expat: I think it is just the creasing on the left make it appear shorter. Once I get a good wash or two in, I will get back to you guys with updated pictures. Going to wash it right now as a matter of fact.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have a low left shoulder, which the shirt doesn't take into account. In the back, it also looks like it could be shaped better for your shoulder blades.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Some say that mills pre-wash these days anyway, so there's no point to having the maker do it again. I don't buy it.

Mina does it... trial shirt fitting was close to perfect in Boston.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They don't do it because washing fabric before making the shirt up is a pain **********. Not only is it hard to keep the grain straight, but fabric doesn't just shrink, it also stretches, especially after it's been washed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads