• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Bespoke Jacket - Advice please!

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any advice?
musicboohoo[1].gif

how much instructions did you give to your maker?

naviC

Reaction score
It did look like the back balance was off and the tailor did say they would work on that for the next fitting. why does the front look tight? (is it the waist suppression? insufficient drape?)

am quite fine with the jacket length at the moment. especially with the fact that i am not a tall chap. I did provide some photographs and a verbal description of what I wanted at my first trip to the tailor; ie a less fitted jacket with a front with more drape and some waist suppression. It is my first jacket so any constructive criticism will be good for me! would be good to know or how to improve my bespoke commissions.

naviC

Reaction score
It is a local tailor used in Singapore.. I can send you a PM if you'd like to know

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, you could use maybe another half inch on the length.

Also, the button stance seems quite high to me.

chinesealpha

Reaction score
You're not ready for bespoke yet.
Be nice.

I think it's verging on very good. That said, the back waist seems to be bunching because of tightness. As you seem to be puffing out your chest and sucking in your gut, this will not improve in your real day-to-day without letting it out a bit. You're in good enough shape to do away with major waist suppression.

The front of your sleeves in both the try-on jacket and the 1st fitting are pretty wrinkly. I'm guessing that the sleeve pitch is off. I'm sure some of this can be pressed out, but I'd make sure to highlight this to your tailor, as it seems to be the most obvious fit issue.

Finally, and this is a matter of preference, I think the jacket could benefit from more open quarters.

Happy bespoking!

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks too tight and short. The buttoning point could be lowered. In my opinion, the styling of the jacket is making you look shorter than you are.

G

Griffindork

I'm having a little bit of a hard time determining what stage of the fitting process you are in as the lapel is clearly in the baste fitting stage but I don't see any baste stitches anywhere else. Maybe you've already had one baste fitting or maybe I just can't see the baste stitches in the photo because of the color of the jacket. In any event, from the front I think it looks good through the shoulders and through the body. The back and sleeves don't appear to have particularly clean lines right now, but it looks like your tailor is marked some adjustments and is likely working that out. The jacket is a little short for my taste but I think reasonable people could disagree on that. I don't see anything that would alarm me at that phase of the process. good luck!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am quite pleased with the outcome of my first bespoke jacket so far. Any critique for the fit would be greatly appreciated!
Which actually is your first? You claimed that then green one in the first post held that honour yet now it is one which is completely different. This one however would be better burned.

naviC

Reaction score
I'm having a little bit of a hard time determining what stage of the fitting process you are in as the lapel is clearly in the baste fitting stage but I don't see any baste stitches anywhere else. Maybe you've already had one baste fitting or maybe I just can't see the baste stitches in the photo because of the color of the jacket. In any event, from the front I think it looks good through the shoulders and through the body. The back and sleeves don't appear to have particularly clean lines right now, but it looks like your tailor is marked some adjustments and is likely working that out. The jacket is a little short for my taste but I think reasonable people could disagree on that. I don't see anything that would alarm me at that phase of the process. good luck!
I have actually had several bastes made up before this, but was not too sure what to adjust until listening to these feedbacks. I have noticed the bunching on the back as well but I am hoping to have this fixed (it has been worked on since the first baste but I dont know describe fixing it). Will be visiting the tailor later tonight for another fitting.

Which actually is your first? You claimed that then green one in the first post held that honour yet now it is one which is completely different. This one however would be better burned.
The first post was the jacket in the first baste. Could you describe why you think it's unpleasant?

Be nice.

I think it's verging on very good. That said, the back waist seems to be bunching because of tightness. As you seem to be puffing out your chest and sucking in your gut, this will not improve in your real day-to-day without letting it out a bit. You're in good enough shape to do away with major waist suppression.

The front of your sleeves in both the try-on jacket and the 1st fitting are pretty wrinkly. I'm guessing that the sleeve pitch is off. I'm sure some of this can be pressed out, but I'd make sure to highlight this to your tailor, as it seems to be the most obvious fit issue.

Finally, and this is a matter of preference, I think the jacket could benefit from more open quarters.

Happy bespoking!
Thank you so much for your constructive feedback. I really appreciate the positiveness in your response.

Strangely enough, I don't remember myself to be puffing my chest or sucking my gut. I believe it may have been all the wine i had earlier that evening. I think more open quarters will be a good idea together with the suggestions by ballmouse of a lower buttoning point and lengthier jacket. I will keep the sleeve pitch in mind and feedback that to the tailor tonight, hope they can fix it or I may have to wait to my next piece.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads