• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First attempt at shoe antiquing/dyeing

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A while back, I Ebayed a pair of AE's discontinued Brantley bal boots. While I'd been looking for a pair of bal boots for a while and was happy to snag these after a long time looking, I'd never been terribly happy with the color, an orangey tan that I think AE calls brandy:

Sep09Shoes-Copy-1.jpg

I'd tried darkening them with creams and waxes, but the color change wasn't substantial enough. I also burnished the toes a bit with a buffing wheel on my drill. Since they're only AEs and I'd gotten them for about $40, and since I wasn't wearing them much in the orange color, I was willing to experiment with them.

So I finally got around to working on them over the course of the last week. I stripped the top layer of the finish off with acetone, though I didn't take all of the old color off.

I then moisturized with a couple applications of Saphir Renovateur, to feed the leather after the harsh acetone.

Then I used Fiebing's Leather Dye in Dark Brown, using the little wool dauber that comes in the box. I put on several coats, with applications of Renovateur in between to strip off the dye that didn't penetrate the leather and stayed sitting on top.

I'd say I ended up with about 5 or 6 coats of dye overall, and maybe a couple more on the toes. I finished with a couple coats of Saphir #05 dark brown cream and Kiwi dark brown wax, putting a low-grade spit shine on the toecaps.

I'm fairly pleased with the results. The finish is a bit more uneven than I could wish; there are a couple of spots where the old orange color shows through a bit. You can kind of see one of them on the heel counter in one picture. I'm going to keep polishing with dark brown cream and wax, and hopefully the finish will even out with time.

DSCF6088.jpg
DSCF6089.jpg
DSCF6090.jpg

WBaker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, thats a huge improvement. Awesome job!

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I was going for something like Edward Green's Dark Oak color. While these pictures don't show it, under some light the boots almost look more like JLP's Museum Red. There is a pronounced redness to the finish that doesn't come through in these shots, and I'm not sure if that's because the Fiebings has a red tint or because of the base color or both.

MMorley

Reaction score
In my view a nice improvement. Good job.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Agree, they look much better.

EZ

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brandy is a great color for some shoes, but I didn't find it all that useful for this particular application. Bal boots are essentially dressy things, IMO, and I'm not likely to wear boots in warm weather with a summer suit. I think I'll get more use out of them in the darker color.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not bad at all for your first time out the gate, though I kinda prefer the original color.
frown.gif
I'm probably in the minority on that, though, so don't mind me. Just your friendly, neighborhood Debbie Downer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads