• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Annual Thrift Thread Find of the Year Awards aka The 2012 CHEAPIES - CLICK HERE TO VOTE

Please vote for the Find of the Year

• Oxxford SC w/ 14k gold buttons - lastdonb

Votes: 32 26.0%
  • Gucci Crocodile Loafers, Tom Ford era - acosbysweater

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • John Lobb Lopez loafers - jamiebryant

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Dior Homme Jacket - jamiebryant

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Thom Browne Suit - shiny

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Kiton 14 Micron / Super 180's Suit - androfan

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Ralph Lauren Purple Label Cashmere Topcoat - eazye

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Band of Outsiders Suit by Martin Greenfield - hmmurdock

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • YSL Rive Gauche Leather Jacket - rayxlui

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Tiffany 18K Solid Gold cufflinks - beigehatch

Votes: 18 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oxxford, TF loafers, Lobb, Tiffany... hard to decide.

-Tiffany is incredible because of the name... and they're solid gold. Plus they were in a green bag clearly marked Tiffany.
-Oxxford is incredible because the owner forgot about the gold buttons/didn't give a f*ck, still donated it... the buyer was smart enough to recognize it.
-TF loafers are just rare, even if they're fugly
-Lobbs were almost mint

Jhors2

Reaction score
THAT is baller attire, but aren't the sleeves and the coat stupidly long???

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably stretched by all that gold.... :drool:

If I could, I'd like to cast one vote to alter the thread title a little. How 'bout:

THE CHEAPIES: The First Annual Thrift Find of the Year Awards

Also, happy new year, everyone. :D

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I turned the profits from my find into the vehicle which allows me to get to thrift stores.

Ex A:

for a mere ~$3.15, I get almost 100 mpg. It would take a week consisting of 10 stops a day to account for one gas tank in a 15-25 mpg vehicle. I don't make much money, so avoiding a $60 gas tank fill AND finding sicknasty things I can wear and flip is the perfect balance for my OCD shopping tendencies. The Gucci crocs opened that door for me. I haven't been thrifting as much in the winter given that I don't use a car. Maybe eazye can relate to this. We all do this for different reasons, but turning my thrift find into real cash allowed me to up my game significantly.

Dude, that is classy! I'm picturing an Italian guy in a suit riding on this bad boy with his tie hanging over his shoulder. This makes me wanna get a Vespa, like seriously!

Which one of these items wound up being a 4 figure flip?

HAHA! Good point! That's one of the reason I voted for the Cucci Crocs after staring at the damn voting screen for nearly 5 minutes as I wiped cold sweat off of my forehead, licked my dry lips, finally made a selection with my trembling fingers while my pupils were dilated!
uhoh.gif

Last edited:

lastdonb

Reaction score
Which one of these items wound up being a 4 figure flip?

HAHA! Good point! That's one of the reason I voted for the Cucci Crocs after staring at the damn voting screen for nearly 5 minutes as I wiped cold sweat off of my forehead, licked my dry lips, finally made a selection with my trembling fingers while my pupils were dilated!
uhoh.gif

He had an ROI of about 10 times his initial cash outlay, mine was just under 60 times ROI.........as I quote another member.., "just saying"

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jamiebryant sorry to break the news to you the reason Dior homme sells before 2008 is because slimane designed it most ppl do not give a **** about Dior homme since then sans the jeans so there is no way you'd get that price for that jacket still a good find but IMHO shouldn't be in the top 10

jamiebryant

Reaction score
Jamiebryant sorry to break the news to you the reason Dior homme sells before 2008 is because slimane designed it most ppl do not give a **** about Dior homme since then sans the jeans so there is no way you'd get that price for that jacket still a good find but IMHO shouldn't be in the top 10
I hear you. Everyone jocks Slimane.

My theory though is that people just dont wanna give up the recent stuff. I dont think that it has much to do with the designer at this point because Dior Homme has made very good name for itself (thanks to Slimane) and people will buy it and pay top dollar for it regardless of who is designing it. Assche is doing a good job with the collections, in my opinion.

As far as being in the Top 10, I somewhat agree. I dont believe it belongs in THIS Top 10 because the Thrift Bragging thread doesnt have equal parts SW&D posters.

Oh well, Im happy that this item got enough notice to be nominated into the Top 10. I think for next year, the organizers need 2 finalist categories :)

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted Kiton based on perceived initial retail value. Yes, Kiton gets found. But not often and not 18 micron.

Anywho, has nobody thought that the original owner of the Oxxford swapped the buttons out in the first place? I can't believe anyone's saying that an Oxxford is the best find of the year, so it's clearly the buttons. True, gold buttons alone or on a jacket are pretty rare. But it doesn't come anywhere near a $7-10K suit. Or a $5-7K cashmere overcoat (which was my runner-up).

green_machine

Reaction score
Everything in this thread is awesome and no matter who wins, I'm honored to be in the company of these thrifting big-timers. :bigstar:

That being said, vote for the cufflinks

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I voted John Lobb, just because of rarity.. Really a fantastic find.

As a side note, I just thought of it now.. Didn't someone find a Cucinelli jacket for something crazy like $35??

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
since the voting is almost done, i guess it won't be too unethical for me to vote now. i voted for androfan's kiton suit. yeah, kiton gets posted somewhat regularly, but that suit was super recent, and from what i understand, is their highest quality model. it's the top of the top of the top of the line. nothing better in terms of suits, unless you find some bespoke maker who will craft you a suit made out of unicorn pubes. eazye's rlpl was a close second, but since i live in CA, a cashmere overcoat just doesn't seem as appealing as an $8k suit.

i'm not much of a flipper, so the cufflinks, crocs, and gold buttons didn't really do much for me. to me, an oxxford jacket with gold buttons is the same as an oxxford jacket with a $500 bill in the pocket. it's still the same jacket, it just happened to come with a fungible bonus, one that wasn't inherent to the jacket itself. if someone found a banana republic suit with a $1,000 bill in the pocket, that would be crazy, but it wouldn't somehow make the BR suit itself any more amazing of a find. to me, the item itself stands alone. flip value is kind of irrelevant to me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads