First Annual Thrift Thread Find of the Year Awards aka The 2012 CHEAPIES - CLICK HERE TO VOTE

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mexicutioner, Dec 27, 2012.

Please vote for the Find of the Year

Poll closed Jan 3, 2013.
  1. Oxxford SC w/ 14k gold buttons - lastdonb

32 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. Gucci Crocodile Loafers, Tom Ford era - acosbysweater

29 vote(s)
    23.6%
  3. John Lobb Lopez loafers - jamiebryant

14 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. Dior Homme Jacket - jamiebryant

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. Thom Browne Suit - shiny

12 vote(s)
    9.8%
  6. Kiton 14 Micron / Super 180's Suit - androfan

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. Ralph Lauren Purple Label Cashmere Topcoat - eazye

9 vote(s)
    7.3%
  8. Band of Outsiders Suit by Martin Greenfield - hmmurdock

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. YSL Rive Gauche Leather Jacket - rayxlui

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  10. Tiffany 18K Solid Gold cufflinks - beigehatch

18 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

THE COMPETITION WAS FIERCE. THE MOTH-HOLES WERE EVERYWHERE. CARTS STREWN ALL AROUND US. BUT IN THE END, THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE. VOTING ENDS ON 1/3/13 AT 11:59PM GMT. WINNER GETS A BUNCH OF AWESOME STUFF COURTESY OF DM7, Inc. THANKS TO DM7 AND DAVESMITH FOR WHITTLING DOWN ALL OF THE NOMINATIONS TO THE FOLLOWING 10: Oxxford SC w/ 14k gold buttons - lastdonb “14k gold buttons on Oxxford SC. Only set of gold buttons posted all year. Many Brionis, Kiton etc, but only one thrifted set of gold buttons. Purchased SC for $6, sold the buttons for $540. Put harvested buttons on the Oxxford and now wear.”
    Gucci Crocodile Loafers, Tom Ford era - acosbysweater “Gucci crocodile loafers from the Tom Ford era. They are among the scarcest Gucci items, retailed for north of $4,000, and are from the period of the time of the designer that helped reinvent menswear. Oh, and I purchased them for $10, had them refinished for around $225, and sold them for $2,240. This is the come-up that Macklemore is talking about. Just go ahead and read the entire page below from top to bottom. Stupefied amazement from all involved.”
    John Lobb Lopez loafers - jamiebryant “Item: John Lobb Lopez Loafers. Why? they appeared to have been worn once then donated.”
    Dior Homme Jacket - jamiebryant “Dior Homme Jacket, 8.99”
    Thom Browne Suit - shiny “thom browne suit”
    Kiton 14 Micron / Super 180's Suit - androfan “Recent Kiton 14 micron/Super 180s brown with blue stripes suit. Why? It's sicknasty and was the softest, thinnest, and most lightweight thing I've ever handled. “
    Ralph Lauren Purple Label Cashmere Topcoat - eazye “RLPL topcoat, need I say more?”
    So I had a great day today. Being the broke-ass that I am at the moment, I decided to take a bunch of stuff that I'm too lazy to post on ebay, to the local buy/sell/trade spot. As they are going through my bags, I decide to check put the men's stuff. This is one of the those places that caters to the H&M crowd, so nothing worth mentioning, although, this is the place I found a pair of RLPL trousers for Brianpore about a month ago. Anyhoo, I didn't find anything in the mens section, so I decide to check out the woman's section. I nearly shat myself when I saw this. RLPL double breasted greatcoat made out of 100% cashmere, sick hounds-tooth with purple window-pane over-check. Ticket pocket, vented, huge peak lapels and large horn buttons. Pretty much one of the nicest pieces of clothing I've ever handled. This is a few years old to be sure, but my shitty google-fu indicates that these retailed for 3-4K when new. Unavailable at the moment. Anybody know who made this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Found this on the inside breast pocket, suede pouch with extra horn buttons. :slayer: [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Band of Outsiders Suit - hmmurdock “Band of Outsiders suit made by Martin Greenfield. BoO is almost never found on thread. Bought it for $15 sold it for $425. Why go for an obvious choice with the same maker which floods the thread all the time.”
    YSL Rive Gauche Leather Jacket - rayxlui “Rive Gauche Leather Jacket. Rare. Leather.”
    Tiffany 18K Solid Gold cufflinks - beigehatch “Tiffany 18K Solid Gold cufflinks. With all the bags and packaging for them. Paid $5.00 for them. Sold them on ebay for over $700.”

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012

2. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

please feel free to discuss below!

3. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

I voted for the Gucci Loafers, mainly because I don't want to live in (or acknowledge) a world where a thrift store sells gold cufflinks in original Tiffany packaging for $5. Oh, and by "world," I, of course, mean LA.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Tiffany Links....

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

I went for the TB suit -- not because it's the most valuable, but because it's the most unexpected.

6. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Lots of cool candidates. The cufflinks are obviously mindblowing. Even small stores recognize BIG names, overmarking BB for example. How do they not mark up Tiffanys? The RLPL is crazy, the Gucci loafers are thrift-thread royalty, the Thom Browne might be my favorite looking of the items... I had to vote for the Lobbs though. Even if they aren't the fullboat custom jobs... Shoes from a legitimate $1k+ shoemaker, effectively unworn, sitting on a thrift store shelf... Crazy.

7. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

The Lobbs were my 2nd choice....

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Clearly pissed that my 250 NWOT belts werent nominated :plain:

But the vote obvi goes to the Gucci loafers I sold with acosbysweater. The sale was discussed in a national article for petes sake!

9. MattR

MattR Senior member

Do tell?

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i went for the lobbs, but the guccis were my second choice. oh, who am i kidding: my most brag-worthy thrifts are faconable windbreakers.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Here.

Page 2.

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

The Kiton 14mi retails for $8-10k. That might win on % terms. Although it looks pretty ugly looking at the pics

:fistbump:

13. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Thom Browne suit still gets my vote.

14. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Wow. Some really impressive items. Tough call...

Amazing that someone was willing to spend $2,400 on used loafers. I had some Tom Ford era loafers I gave to my brother... Should have sold them through Spoo!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

15. SpooPoker